miyu1975

Well Known Member
Any tricks of the trade advice on this.. My fingers are to big to fit in tight space to get the bolt through the hinge holes.. I was using a pair of needle nose plyers but kept lossing the grip. I am going to buy a pair of needle nose vise grips today. Any other tips..thx

A dedicated needle-nose....

......with a hollow ground inside both fingers will hold the bolt without dropping it. Buy a cheapo Chinese model and this'll be it's sole use.

Regards,

Tape and Grabber

You can also wrap a small piece of masking/electrical tape around the washer and nut to keep them together while you get them started on the bolt. Yank the tape off after a couple of turns. Or, if you're a tool nut like me you'll buy Avery's washer wrench set instead...

I'd also suggest a 'grabber' or pick up tool; Sears sells one for $7 or you can find them at auto parts stores (Sears# 00941322000). You can grab the bolt shank and then use one finger to poke the bolt in place. Also handy when you drop the parts inside the elevator.

Mike

4-pronged grabber

I used a 4 pronged grabber from the dollar store to finagle the bolt into place. Came in handy in many instances.

This is an image from harborfreight:
94162.gif

Not wanting to take business away from a company that supports us like Avery, but I was able to make crude copies of the Avery pins with some rod I had laying around way back when I was building. Net cost was "free" - just took a little time for bending and threading....

Use nails

http://www.averytools.com/p-240-temporary-assembly-pins.aspx

These come in handy in all kinds of little situations - yours included.

I didn't have the time to wait (or so I thought) to receive these so I made some that work just as well. I used 16d nails and used my vise and a hammer to bend the pointed end to 90 degrees. Worked great and they're cheap too. This I did to position everything and then used homestats to install the bolts, washers and nut.

Last edited:
Small needle-nose vise grips. Put a nice strong pickup magnet on the bolt head after it's in. That will help keep you from dropping your nut & washer while you use one finger and all your telepathic powers to start the threads. A gearwrench is nice too.