chris mitchell

Well Known Member
Patron
Enmeshed in wiring, I thought I'd play with the Flightdek (180) and Garmin (296) for a bit of light relief. So I wired up up the power and ground leads to the relevant busses, wired pin 19 (black/white wire; serial receive) of the FlightDek EMS harness to the violet wire (Data out 2) of the 296. Switch on, GPS in simulator mode (the fuse in my garage and can't see any satellites) and with the FlightDek on the HSI page, I get - nada. I get the compass rose, heading and TAS (OAT and remote compass are already connected) but no GPS overlay.

Have I got the wiring wrong; is it because the GPS is in simulator mode; or is there some set-up step I have left out? Both the Dynon and Garmin instructions are a little vague here. A search both of this forum and using Google hasn't turned up anything useful. Anyone else got this working?

Any help/guidance greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Not sure if simulator mode on the 296.

But...if your Dynon is connected properly to the 296 you should see a "Waiting for GPS Fix" on the Dynon HSI screen even if the GPS is indoors and doesn't have a lock.

Hope that helps,

Make sure your 296 is talking NEMA. Change that in setup mode. I've got the GPS III Pilot, but I've made this mistake and it won't work in Garmin mode.

I was messing with a friends setup once and if I remember correctly, the 296 does not output the data for the Dynon while in sim mode.

Like they say above, you also have to have the correct format turned on, I don't think the correct format is the default.

Making progress

Thanks guys. Never occurred to me to see if the GPS was set up correctly - and, of course, the 296 was not outputting in NMEA. So I've fixed that. Also it seems unlikely that the simulator mode will work and you'd need a "direct to" to give a course - but as its now 11.20pm on a cold night I'll keep the garage door shut and give it another try tomorrow when I can wheel it outdoors and get the GPS to see a few satellites. I'll try to update then. Fingers crossed. Maybe it is wired correctly....

Chris

NMEA standard 4600 Baud.

Your probably going to want your 296 set on "Aviation in/NMEA & VHF out" That sets the Baud rate at 9600 automatically and passes the info within the allotted two seconds NMEA standard. From what I understand 9600 Baud is a proprietary Garmin thing.