lhawkins

I have an O-290D for my RV-3 project, the problem is that the kit came with a dynafocal mount. I posted to see if anyone could swap or buy my dynafocal mount but got no takers. Another option is to have the case remachined to the dynafocal mount. Divco will do it for $250, not bad but I'm wondering if that's a ligitimate conversion. What problems will it cuase or am I worrying for no reason. Just looking at the case and the mount, doesn't look like it could work but Divco seems to think it's no big deal. Any thoughts from you engine guru's would be appreciated.

Larry
RV-4 flying
RV-3 building

The quote sounds about right.. However, question is -- can they do it w/o splitting the case??? If they can't (and I spoke with one engine shop that indicated they'd have to split the case to do this fairly simple change), then you're looking into a possible rather large expense just to do this operation.. so if engine doesnt' need tear-down, it may not be cost-effective to do this modification.

I'd call Divco and ask them about that.

no big deal

I had mine done but the engine was apart.. fits fine and looks solid
no big deal.. Plus if you ever upgrade the engine you don't need to spend
1000.00 on a new engine mount.. 250 vrs 1000 , Mine cost more than that
I should have shopped around.. eci charged about 400.00

Danny..

splittin' er up

I worked at Divco for 10 years, it's a simple procedure and causes no ill effects of any kind. But, the cases will have to be split for sure. Now as for splitting the cases, leave the pistons in the cylinders and remove them from the rod, leave the bottom end together (rods on crank). When you get the cases back, clean the cases in hot soapy, dry and re-assemble the engine. I would use new bearings were it me.
Allen

ECI does the mod as well

Its the same engine case casting so all they do is weld up the conical and machine the dynafocal. $250 sounds way way low. I am sure they do good work but the state of the art in welding is WAY better than it was even 10 years ago. I would ask lots of questions about welding and heat treat and stress relief.

ECI also does this mod and they stress relief and heat treat the "affect zone" and use state of the art wielding to avoid the problems involved with welding aluminum. Check them out: http://www.eci2fly.com/

Give ECI a call and talk to them also.

Price is in line...

gmcjetpilot said:
Its the same engine case casting so all they do is weld up the conical and machine the dynafocal. $250 sounds way way low. I am sure they do good work but the state of the art in welding is WAY better than it was even 10 years ago. I would ask lots of questions about welding and heat treat and stress relief.

ECI also does this mod and they stress relief and heat treat the "affect zone" and use state of the art wielding to avoid the problems involved with welding aluminum. Check them out: http://www.eci2fly.com/

Give ECI a call and talk to them also.

George.. the price is in line for the actual machining.... but the case woud have to be yellow-tagged first for much more $$.

ECI price list here...

http://www.eci2fly.com/pdf/svc_cca.pdf

gil in Tucson

Yes and worth it

az_gila said:
George.. the price is in line for the actual machining.... but the case woud have to be yellow-tagged first for much more $$.gil in Tucson
Thanks gil I was thinking the whole deal.