sandifer

Well Known Member
Congrats to Ron who flew his RV-8 in our IAC 19 Carolina Boogie aerobatic contest this weekend and placed 3rd among a deep, skilled field of Sportsman pilots. I guess it took him two flights to warm up, because he won the 3rd flight. Ron, FYI - that's how ALL flights are supposed to be done! :D He was competing against three Pitts', two Giles 202's, an Extra 200 and a Super D. It was nice seeing the RV in there with all the other usual suspects!

Last edited:
Smokey,
Congrats on taking 1st today and 3rd overall. You make us all proud. I need more lessons!

Nice!

I didn't know Smokey was competing in events like this.

But I did see him practice at the North Carolina Formation Clinic last month.
I was very impressed!
He would pull up into a 45 degree up-line, roll inverted and continue right up the same line with no joggle at all.

Congratulations Smokey!

Mark

good job

Good Job Smokey!
You are elevating the RV world.
Exploring the other side of RV flying. (For me anyway).

Congratulations

Congratulations Ron, and I hope you give us a PIREP on how much fun you had. BTW Eric, besides all the fun you had, how did you do even if you were flying a Pitts? I know it'll be awhile before the results are posted on IAC website. We had a few in our Chapter 3 and Gulf Coast Aerobatic Club completing at Grenada, MS (no RVs), but I was down with that darn tank rebuild from the slosh problem.
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
Alabama

Congrats!
Video of the some secuence?

Not just any video. This is Eric Sandifer flying the same Sportsman sequence that I flew last weekend. He flies a beautiful program in that Pitts and has graduated to the Intermediate level of competition where he is blowing the other competitors away! Eric has mentored me along the way and I want to publicly thank him for that. He's a great teacher and friend.

nice video and flying

Congrats to all of the competitors. Doing well in any airplane is an accomplishment.

Having flown both the RV and the Pitts I can tell you that flying the Pitts well is no easy feat. With the RV I can come back from a month of not flying acro and go out and fly it pretty well, but the Pitts, take a week off and its like starting all over again.

Eric, what is your practice sched. like before a competition?

Chris M

Eric, what is your practice sched. like before a competition?

Contest Directors don't have time to practice before a contest! :D I didn't really do any specific practice for the contest this year. I showed up with a Freestyle I'd never flown...and it showed. But I was doing it just for fun, and didn't care that I didn't win the Free flight. I don't really put much into practice for contests these days. In the past, in the couple weeks before a contest, I would practice the Known sequences a lot, but I don't really do that much anymore. I still fly a good bit, and end up doing most of the figures I'd encounter at a contest, just not in any particular sequence. I guess I'm saying that I'm normally just flying for fun, but still trying to fly with precision. If you're always making an effort to fly to competition standards, the actual contest flying won't require much extra effort. Some folks take it a lot more seriously than I do, though. But most don't.

Ron, for instance, probably hadn't made much of an effort to fly competition-style acro since he flew our contest two years ago. I met him for some practice a couple weeks before this contest, and he quickly re-adapted because he's just got good fundamental aerobatic skills. And he ended up doing very well. Most folks who do well with competition acro are like this - it doesn't exactly consume your flying, or require an inordinate amount of time outside your normal flying schedule. Now if you're going to be competitive in Unlimited at the National level, that requires quite a continual investment in training and practice. But most don't have the time, money, or interest in dedicating the effort to get to that level.