ericwolf

Well Known Member
I just weighed my RV-8A and am a little confused. I have a Mattituck TMXOF-360 (FADEC) 180HP and a Whirlwind 200RV propeller with a PC680 battery in the back. The Whirlwind propeller is about 40 lbs and the FADEC system adds about 7lbs net weight in the engine/firewall area and it also has a backup battery that is about 6-8 lbs (I think, have to verify) that I installed behind the firewall. My empty weight is 1088 (no paint, with fairings) and my CG is 76.78?. I?m okay with the empty weight, but the CG troubles me. I was expecting with the light prop (compared to Hartzell) and battery in back that I would get if anything a slightly tail heavy condition. This is based on other -8A?a and their CG?s. The problem that I have with the CG is that flying solo will be barely within the forward limit. One option is to move the backup battery to the back as well, which should put me at around 77.47?, which seems much more palatable.

I did measure the distance to each wheel from the wing leading edge with plumb bobs and string. I had some scales that were less that perfect, even though they were certified. When I weighed myself on them, they read 192, 196, 233. The first two sound about right, the third is not. So what I did is weighed the plane three times, each time rotating the scales. I then took an average weight of the two ?good? scales for each wheel. Even the two ?good? scales disagreed with each other by 5, 8, & 10 lbs. for the nose, left and right wheel. I had the airplane very close to level by using 2x4?s under the main wheel scales and letting the air out of the nose wheel each time. I think that it was within about 0.2 or 0.3? of level. I have all inspection panels, baggage compartments, and seats installed as well as oil and brake fluid.

I plan to remeasure the wheel positions tomorrow to make sure that is good. Otherwise, I?m confused what happened. Maybe I put too much weight into the cowl when I did some ?surgical? work on it. Any thoughts?

Nah..., I wouldn't get too excited until you find some scales that you really trust. Try again.

Get Better Scales

I most certainly would not trust those scales from what you wrote.

Find someone with a set of digital race car scales to borrow. They are very accurate and work well for weighing RV type airplanes.

The other thing to be careful of is to be sure you are completely on the scales. No loads left on the jacks if you are using any. I thought I had built a super light weight RV8 until I realized this!

Ted

I had the airplane very close to level by using 2x4?s under the main wheel scales and letting the air out of the nose wheel each time. I think that it was within about 0.2 or 0.3? of level. I have all inspection panels, baggage compartments, and seats installed as well as oil and brake fluid.

Any thoughts?

Nah..., I wouldn't get too excited until you find some scales that you really trust. Try again.

I agree, try again with reliable scales. And don't try for close to level, make it level.
While weighing their is potential for error to creep in from numerous little sources. Do your best to minimize them. 0.2 degrees isn't much but the difference compared to exactly level can be measured.

I was thinking that I should find a different set of scales. I talked to the A&P that I borrowed them from and he said that they haven't been used since he got them back from calibration/check. He is going to look into it, but in the meantime, I will probably have to find a set of race car scales. I don't know anyone in racing, but maybe I can rent a set from somewhere.

When I weigh the plane again, I will get it exactly level as Scott suggested. This was starting to bother me after thinking about it.

Despite all this, I'm still thinking that I will be nose heavy. I say this because if I use only one scale's numbers, I get about the same CG number as the average. I won't know for sure until I get decent scales to use though.

Avery will rent you a set for $100 (precision race car)

Call Avery's and talk to ?Bob?. (it is on the web page) They will ship you the scales and let you use them for a few days if needed. Read-out is on single display. All directions included, very simple. (could see the increase when I hung the plumb bob)

Aft battery or not

I was thinking that I should find a different set of scales. I talked to the A&P that I borrowed them from and he said that they haven't been used since he got them back from calibration/check. He is going to look into it, but in the meantime, I will probably have to find a set of race car scales. I don't know anyone in racing, but maybe I can rent a set from somewhere.

When I weigh the plane again, I will get it exactly level as Scott suggested. This was starting to bother me after thinking about it.

Despite all this, I'm still thinking that I will be nose heavy. I say this because if I use only one scale's numbers, I get about the same CG number as the average. I won't know for sure until I get decent scales to use though.

Eric,

How did this turn out. I have been planning the aft battery but decided to go with the WW200RV Prop. I talked with Joe at Van's yesterday and he felt I should keep the batter forward. The factory RV-8A has the heavy motor and prop. I have also lightened things up with Grove wheels all around.

I am curious how you CG ended up.

Cheers