As long as you do not need VOR/LOC/GS capability, an A210 will work just fine.

Plenty of VFR birds out there with similar setups...

Check out the XCOM 760. I love mine and have used it for four years. Great intercom built in.

Bob

Flight Line 760

I've been using this radio for the last 4 months and am pleased with it.

Its easy to use and seems to work well in both the xmit & rx mode.

It has a built in intercomm but I'm using an external one.

It fits in a standard 2-1/4" hole.

I think I paid about $600 for the thing.

Dave
-9A flying

The A210 is a piece of CRAPPP.
Couldn't disagree more. At $900 an A210 with the latest firmware upgrade is easily the best bang-for-the-buck radio on the market today. Built-in intercom, aux input for your MP3 player, connectivity to your GPS for audio and frequency transfer, standby frequency monitoring, etc.

The XCom may offer some of those as well, i'm not sure. But it's a different form-factor so that may or may not interest you. I prefer the large screen with big letters on the iCom.

Couldn't disagree more. At $900 an A210 with the latest firmware upgrade is easily the best bang-for-the-buck radio on the market today. Built-in intercom, aux input for your MP3 player, connectivity to your GPS for audio and frequency transfer, standby frequency monitoring, etc.

The XCom may offer some of those as well, i'm not sure. But it's a different form-factor so that may or may not interest you. I prefer the large screen with big letters on the iCom.

You haven't experienced cable proplems yet... it's coming.

It's been in and out of the panel a dozen times for various un-radio-related reasons, and I haven't managed to break a cable yet. But I did get a spare from iCom when I took it in to have the firmware updated. The spare lives in my toolbox just in case I ever need it. I can't imagine why I would though.

The A200 is a FAR better radio... the ribbon cable on the A210 will haunt you forever.

The ribbon cable is only about a buck. Thanks to the cable, the 210 has a large animated screen for frequencies. I had a A200 previously, and the 210 does more.

L.Adamson

Good Luck... you'll be disappointed down the road! Too many have been there. A buck does not help to much when you're in flight.

This is a harsh statement to make. After the latest firmware upgrade, the A210's feature list smokes the A200. The physical design/performance of the A210 is working out just fine.

The A210 is a piece of CRAPPP... try and find an A200... you will be blessed. :)

I don't get it....I have had my radio in and out at least 30 times and the ribbon cable has never been an issue.
Sure you must be carefull with it but it is not like dealing with egg shells or anything....
Replacements are very cheap if you do damage it.

You haven't experienced cable proplems yet... it's coming.
The A200 is a FAR better radio... the ribbon cable on the A210 will haunt you forever.

I have never heard of an in flight failure of this ribbon cable caused by how the ribbon cable is intended to be used. Sure if you damage it on install, it might fail later but I doubt just because it is there it is going to fail.

Many devices have ribbon cables built into them....is everything with a ribbon cable junk? If so the world is doomed because just about everything uses em.

I pulled my ribbon cable out of my A210 after 90hrs of flight time and it still looked brand new. Not sure why you would expect it to fail at any minute?

It is clear you do not like the way Icom designed the A210. You sure are entitled to your opinion and I respect it. Mine just happens to differ based on my experience with it. 5 years from now I might change my mind and you can say I told you so but until I have reason to distrust the design, I am OK with it.

Good Luck... you'll be disappointed down the road! Too many have been there. A buck does not help to much when you're in flight.

Last edited: