jump4way

Well Known Member
I am trying to get ideas on the best way to take advantage of the equipment I will have installed in my airplane. I will be installing GRT HX, garmin 430w, gtx 327 transponder, Icom A210, Garmin 496, TruTrak Digiflight II VSVG, and a GMA 240 audio panel.

I understand it would be a good idea to install a switch for the Trutrak so it can use either the 430w or the efis in the event of an efis failure. What type of switch would be needed?

I understand the GTX 327 can accept gps data to turn itself on and off.

Can the 430 send flightplan data to the 496?

Can the EFIS or 430w send frequency data to the Icom A210?

I am planning on installing at least one auxiliary input for a music source for the 240. Can the 240 handle multiple music sources running simultaneously so my passenger can listen to one while I listen to another?

Are there any other features you guys can think of that I should try to take advantage of while setting these up?

Thanks for any help.

Andy

I am trying to get ideas on the best way to take advantage of the equipment I will have installed in my airplane. I will be installing GRT HX, garmin 430w, gtx 327 transponder, Icom A210, Garmin 496, TruTrak Digiflight II VSVG, and a GMA 240 audio panel.

I understand it would be a good idea to install a switch for the Trutrak so it can use either the 430w or the efis in the event of an efis failure. What type of switch would be needed?

I am planning on installing at least one auxiliary input for a music source for the 240. Can the 240 handle multiple music sources running simultaneously so my passenger can listen to one while I listen to another?

Are there any other features you guys can think of that I should try to take advantage of while setting these up?

Thanks for any help.

Andy

GPS switch, double pole double throw for airinc data.
No the 496 will not take flight plan data fro the 430
Freq data to Icom, I dont think so but im unsure on this.
GMA 240 multi entertainment input I dont think is available. It is on other Garmin audio panels, but the 240... I dont think so. You got the pinouts?

They way to determine features and hookup, is to get each pinout printed to see what can come and go from each unit. They will tell you what is possible.
Best,

Thanks for any help.

Andy

Really? Why not? It works in my buddy's airplane. :)

mcb

"Flight plan" in Garmin 430 speak referrs to multiple waypoints stored in the 430 flight plan mode, which I dont believe is available on the Aviation data stream that the 496 listens to.

"Flight plan" in Garmin 430 speak referrs to multiple waypoints stored in the 430 flight plan mode, which I dont believe is available on the Aviation data stream that the 496 listens to.

Kahuna, are you saying that a "Direct To" waypoint plan will transfer from a 430 to a 496...but not a multiple waypoint "Flightplan".

I was thinking of mounting a 695 in a C182 that already has a 430. I was told that the 430 "flightplan" would transfer to the 695....but now I'm starting to worry that one man's "flightplan" might not the same as anothers !!!

As I understand it, and I could be wrong cause I have never owned or messed with a 430/496 wiring, the 430 configured for serial out to the 496 serial in selected aviation 232 serial stream, will dump the active waypoint, but I dont think a sequenced flight plan from the 430 makes it to the 496.

Im sure this has been hashed out here before.
Someone will correct in in about 5 seconds if Im wrong.

By using a data/power cable, the 496 will replicate whatever you see on the430. If for any reason you lose the 430, whatever you have on the 496 at the time will remain. Thus, if you happened to be shooting an ILS and lost your 430 on the approach, you could still fly the approach on the 496 by transitioning to a LOC approach as you would have everything on the 496 except glideslope.

Also, your battery would be fully charged by virtue of the power/data cable. Been there, done that.

Thanks once again for the great feedback. I'll get the pinouts and run through all of the options. I should have done that in the first place before I bugged everyone. Having the option to wire the 496 to the 430 sounds pretty beneficial. I'll have to dig further to find out the wiring. Thanks again.

Andy,

The switch to flip/flop between the 430 and the EFIS on the ARINC lines is a good idea - your GRT will actually convert the Garmin VOR/ILS Nav signals to ARINC if I understand correctly, allowing you to have the TT fly a VOR or ILS approach (which it could not otherwise do).

One other thing to consider is to wire the serial output from the 496 to the TT also. That way if your 430 fails you can still navigate using GPS and autopilot. The serial lines are separate from the ARINC lines and do not provide vertical nor precision approach guidance, but if your 430 goes belly up you could still fly a coupled non-precision approach using the 496 as an emergency get-down.

Yes, it is possible to "feed" the flight plan from the 430 to the 496, and I recommend that you do this.

The way the TT operates, it will disregard serial input if ARINC is available. In the event of 430 failure, you will need to press the "Mode" button to commence navigating using the flight plan in the 496.

As I understand it, and I could be wrong cause I have never owned or messed with a 430/496 wiring, the 430 configured for serial out to the 496 serial in selected aviation 232 serial stream, will dump the active waypoint, but I dont think a sequenced flight plan from the 430 makes it to the 496.

Im sure this has been hashed out here before.
Someone will correct in in about 5 seconds if Im wrong.

The Aviation Data transmitted by the 430/430w DOES include ALL waypoints of a flight plan and any portable supporting this feature WILL display those waypoints.

Garmin portables will automatically use the Aviation Data flight plan stream and make that flight plan the active plan. If this Aviation Data stream is used with a Bendix/King AV8OR portable, both flight plan waypoints AND position will be used from the Aviation Data stream.

Thanks once again for the great feedback. I'll get the pinouts and run through all of the options. I should have done that in the first place before I bugged everyone. Having the option to wire the 496 to the 430 sounds pretty beneficial. I'll have to dig further to find out the wiring. Thanks again.

I think this question come up once-a-month. Some previous threads: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=40044

or this.. replace the AFS with your GRT units.
afsConnect.jpg

In the diagram above two separate switches are shown for selecting source data to the TruTrak; one for Aviation Data (RS232) and the other for the ARINC pair. Is there utility in having these separate? I was thinking of just getting a 3 pole switch and switching both the Av data and the ARINC at the same time.

Thanks,