Geico266

Well Known Member
Well, it has been a while since I made a mistake. :rolleyes: Let me start over...... It has been awhile since I made a mistake I told everyone about so I thought this would be a good one. :eek:

I wanted to fly the -12 this am so I prepped the plane in the hangar and when I went to pull it out I was greeted by another plane coming down the alley towards me. So I patently waited for this guys to take 12.23 mins to wrap up his head set, down load his data from his GPS, check his fuel totalizer, make an entry in his log book, call his wife and let her know he had cheated death one more time, ect, ect, ect. You get the point. ;) I was now on slow boil waiting in the hot sun so I unlocked the canopy. (More on this later.)

Strike 1.

I let the oil warm up to 120F like a good little RV-12 Rotax operator and turned my boost pump on made my call and headed for the end of the runway knowing there were several people watching. I was going to be cool.

Strike 2.

I set the flaps 1/2 way for a quick departure with 1/2 tank of fuel and no wind. Full throttle, ease the stick back, nose up, mains to follow, canopy lifts off about 15' AGL. :eek:

Ball 1.

Lots of noise in the head sets, some alarm went off I think, papers and stuff flying all around the cabin, (POH certain was NOT one of them. :rolleyes:) Ball cap slid down over my eyes...... Whoa, I don't remember this in any of my flight training, except my flight instructor saying; " When all else fails, fly the XXXX airplane".

Ball 2.

Knowing I was right above the runway I cut power and set up for landing, but things were weird. I would pull back on the stick and the canopy would open and close. Hmmmm. I said to myself, maybe I could close the canopy and no one would notice my aborted landing that I decided not to abort! :eek:

Strike 2.5

Thinking better of it I decided to land the plane with all of the commotion concentrating on the RUNWAY and not the other stuff going on around me. I actually said to myself; "LAND THE XXXX PLANE!

Ball 3.

I made a nice touch town, and looked at the end of the runway and thought I could close the canopy and still take off! :eek:

Strike 2.75

No, I said to my stupid self. No! :( (Does anyone else have these conversations with themselves, or is it just me? :rolleyes:) Land, taxi back to the end of the runway, swallow your pride, take a deep breath, and start over after LOCKING the canopy. and reading my POH take off check list.

Bunted ball fair, made it to first base. Barely. :rolleyes:

Well, I proved a couple things to myself today, (besides any moron can fly) don't become distracted or impatient. When you do become distracted or impatient go back a few steps and start over. Stick to the basics and read your check list. Keep your concentration and by all means.................. Lets Be Careful Out There.

This is the time of year when we do a lot of flying. Weather is good, lots of fair weather flyers and hangar rats at the airport that don't fly much. Get and stay in the grove that works for you. Please be safe. Oshkosh and other flyins gives us all an opportunity to be distracted and forgetfull.

Yes, the RV-12 can be flown with the canopy open.

Thanks for "playing ball". Stay in the game.

Last edited:
Larry,

Let me get this straight now... Is what you are saying when everything else fails, is to FLY the friggin' airplane??

Best thing I every had that way was a seatbelt on my old C 172 dangling out the PAX side whan 300' on takeoff started banging the side of the cabin. It sounded just like a rod going thru the case and in fact when I throttled back it stopped so I was sure the engine was gone....

Great post, aren't confessions liberating???

Thank you for sharing. I have been good about using my check list, but stories like this reinforce the practice. Also, like my first instructor always demanded, I don't simply read the check list but I put my hand on each control called out, like the canopy latch. This I think is a good habit in ensure you positevely confirmed its status.

Glad the outcome was good Larry. Thanks again for sharing.

Funs fun, but safety first!

Guilty

On my first flight with the new engine, I spent timing going over everything after the engine started while the oil was warming up.

I then went through my check list, knowing I was going to forget something.

Powered up and as soon as I lifted the tail, the canopy lifted up as well. Pulled the throttle, stopped, and taxied back. Latched the canopy and had an uneventful flight.

Good story Larry. I enjoyed that much more than you did. Safe outcome thanks to some good piloting decisions.

Well...

It feels good to come clean, eh?

Speaking of which.....you guys remember those cute little control locks I made for the -10 a few weeks ago and showed on here?....end of story....not!

Last week, in a hurry to get home from Beaufort, S.C., I darted out to the airplane and taxied to the end of the runway. I use C-I-G-A-R T-I-P as my checklist and lo and behold..C...controls free...huh? stuck tight, so I look out of the window and there's my proud aileron lock sitting smugly!

Fortunately, I was the only one at the runup area so no pride lost.

I tell others to always walk around the airplane after it's been sitting a while, to check the wingtips and elevators/stab in case a fuel truck ran into the airplane while we were gone. So what did I do? .....not walk around the airplane.

I was lucky...again,

Larry,

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for reminding us that this doesn't have to turn into a major problem.

Hope to see you at Oshkosh.

joe

49clipper

You aren't the only one who has forgotten to lock the canopy on a tipup, but I won't divulge When it happened to me.

Thanks for sharing. This is how we learn or reinforce basic flying rules.

Continue being safe and enjoy flying. It shouldn't be frustrating like a slow group ahead while playing golf or waiting in traffic. ;)

I'll remind you what happens in this situation when you DON'T keep flying the airplane:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=72821

Thanks Erich.

I wanted to link your thread to this one because several people asked me if the -12 could fly easily with the canopy left unlocked. I really didn't want to do this on purpose just to see if it would still fly, but as luck would have it I was turned into a test pilot. Yes, the plane is easily flown although the distraction of wondering what in xxxx just happened is some times hard to overcome. ;)

The moral of the story....."When all else fails, fly the airplane"

That does it...

Thanks Erich.

The moral of the story....."When all else fails, fly the airplane"

It's the second time in a few weeks that we hear the same story, this is a big concern to me, a fresh pilot. After the first story, the one that ended with much more damage to the plane than Larry's I thought, fresh of my recent training, the answer is "check list", no big deal!
Now I have second thought because Larry explained skillfully what you go through when irritated or under pressure: it can happen to the most experienced pilot, it will happen to me!
What to do then?
My solution: the last entry on my "before take-off" check list will be:

... AND DON'T FORGET TO LOCK THE FREAKING CANOPY!!!!

It will be bold, in a bigger font than the rest so that I believe it will end up etched in my mind. Even if I skip the check list one day, I trust it will pop-up before the canopy... may be... I hope... whatever...

Pre Departure check

Just before taking the runway for takeoff

Fuel - on
Flaps - set
Canopy - closed
Trim - set
Choke - in

Do this in a flow from bottom to top to down to the throttle (its a circle)before you touch the throttle taking the runway.

GIFT STP Canopy Canopy Belt Belt Controls

"GIFT STP Canopy Canopy Belt Belt Controls"

Full disclosure:
I took off with one of the canopy latches not set once about 7 years ago (the other latch kept in closed). Was distracted by a radio call during checklist and didn't start again at the beginning. And, I've taken off with the pitot cover still on. :eek:

Everybody in my family knows our verbal RV-6 tip up pre-takeoff checklist….even the 10yr old. He helps walk me through it just before we turn onto the active. Alex DeDominicis taught me this ten years ago during transition training.

G – Gas (on fullest tank)

I – Instruments (set)

F – Flaps (for takeoff)

T – Trim (for takeoff)

S – Strobes (on)

T – Transponder (active)

P – Pump (fuel pump ON)

Canopy Canopy (said out loud twice while inspecting both the SIDE and TOP latches)

Belt Belt (said out loud twice while inspecting both passenger and my belts are on)

Controls – Free and correct.

I was taught that this covers the 'killer items'. Pretty easy for this old cube worm to remember (so far) ;^).

Last edited:
One of my IP's..

...- once taught me to do a "safety stroll" around the airplane as the very last thing before jumping in the seat.

At that point, your are refueled, preflight inspection is done, the passenger is in the seat etc etc. The only thing missing is you....

At that point, you put your hands behind your back and walk slowly around the plane, NOT touching anything.
This time, you just LOOK at the plane, specially the things you have been working with, for example:

Are the towbar removed?
Are both fuelcaps in place?
Is there enough air in the tires?
Are the intake-covers removed?
Are the wheel-chocks removed?
Are the pitot-cover removed?
Any leaking fluids?

I know that all these items are covered during preflight etc, but there's SO easy to interupt your way of doing things, or be interupted by something or someone for that matter. Then, you are set up for missing things.

Just before jumping in, all other people are away from your plane, your cellphone is turned off, there's no more "other" tasks to do, and there's just you and the plane.
Therefore, that's the perfect time for one last check... the safety stroll...

This stroll has saved me more than once....

ao.frog;553888Are both fuelcaps in place? ...Therefore said:
I need to start doing this safety stroll. Great idea.

Also, when I do my free and correct check, I make note of the fuel caps; are they there and are they closed?

Okay, it's time to confess. About a month ago I had just finished the condition inspection, in other words, the most thorough pre-flight possible. As part of it, I had replaced the intake plugs, but hadn't as yet put on the rope that wraps around the prop, just to prevent something stupid. There was no need for a pre-flight, or so I thought.

On climb out at about 4-500', I noticed the cylinder temps above normal, and knew immediately. Throttle back--engine is working well and not yet overheated--tight pattern at minimum power while watching the gauges (all within gliding distance) and put it on the runway. No harm as the temps only got to about 400. Thankfully I made the plugs to keep birds out, not all the air. I really felt stupid, but pretty lucky I spotted it early on. I now know how much I rely on seeing that rope around the prop, and how forgiving a Lycoming can be. I'm also happy that an RV can make a mighty tight pattern.

Bob

A couple of years ago, before I was flying the RV-12, I made an approach in a DA-20 to a 6000' runway and had a CRS episode. The DA-20 is a bit like the 12, light airplane, similar power and configuration and hard to get slowed down for the flare if your approach is flown too fast. Anyway, I was high and fast on final but with over a mile of runway ahead, I decided to continue. Finally, landed long and the end of the runway was coming up fast. Decided to takeoff and go around, applied full throttle and the engine coughed and quit. Seeing that prop stop really got my attention. Heavy braking got the plane stopped before running off the pavement, but just barely.

A quick flow check revealed that the boost pump was not on. All my flight instructors have trained me to pull out the Before-Landing checklist even in the simple DA-20, and when I didn't, it almost got me.

To add to the embarrassement there was an airport employee on a lawn mower watching this fiasco. He may not have been a pilot, but he probably was well aware that a goof-up occurred :eek:.

This is why I have not installed a fuel pump switch on my 12. When I turn on the Master Switch, it is comforting to hear that fuel pump running :). And as others have said, it is a great reminder to turn OFF the Master after shutdown.

Tony

Last edited:
Tony, How about putting that inventive mind of yours to work developing a plumbing/wiring set-up for a second Facet pump in the RV12 fuel system? This way we could switch that one on if one of the others goes south. The Facets are only about $35. Your precise schematic for the tubing bends will be most helpful for those of us who hate working in the tunnel.

Jim #264

Sometimes . . . .

. . . . even using the written checklist won't save you. A couple of years ago, I was taking the flying club's Piper Arrow up for my first time solo after getting checked out on it. Carefully :rolleyes: went through the checklist, got in, strapped in, fired up and proceeded to try to taxi away. Plane wouldn't move. It took a minute or so, but I finally realized I had neglected to untie the tail tie down rope. Nothing for it but to shut down, get out, and take care of it. Unfortunately for my ego, I had an audience watching from the porch of the clubhouse - laughing their ***'es off. I still don't know how I managed to miss that rope.

Or, prior to takeoff you go to secure the can of soda you were drinking and realize you.....set...it...on...the wingwalk while you strapped in....doh!

This one is unreal?

It appeared to be a Cessna 150 with a funny looking thing protruding forward from the nose gear.

Back in my fueling and flight instructing days we had a local legend. He was an older Gentleman with a 182 and no wheel pants. You could always tell if he was coming from the T-hangar, or from flying based on which direction his tow bar was facing.

Mark

One time my dad and I flew into an airport. Apon departure we got into the plane (C340) Started up and tried to taxie. Low and behold we forgot to remove the chocks.

Last edited:
Priesthood?

Larry,
I'm thinking you should go into the priesthood and open a confessional! Look what you started! The guilt that has built up all these years has come flooding out. I guess we all just need a reason to fess up and guilt loves company so good job getting things rolling. (I would tell mine but I already confessed and I ain't doing it twice).

Pete

The result of distractions during preflight:

Me: "Alexandria tower, 3498C ready to taxi with the information."

Alexandria tower, " '98C, I'll be happy to clear you to taxi... as soon as you untie your right wing."

:eek::eek::eek:

I was in a cherokee and saw a guy fly by in a pie chaser with the towbar hanging. I called him on CTAF & he answered. I told him and it got really quiet. I personally have seen one of the "orange things" flopping with the prop when I hit the key. Hey, what's that! Distraction may be our absolute worst enemy.

Tie Downs and Cell Phones

Hey Miles,

My instructor called that one "Turns around a tie-down point". I think Machado used that line as well. I've done it with chains on both wings. Takes a LOT of power to taxi...

My more recent goof was getting to the run-up in the RV-6, bringing up the power for a mag check, and watching my iPhone:

skitter back from the nose...

up the cowling...

over the canopy plexiglass...

back over the empennage...

and off the tail into the weeds.

Shut down, climb out, retrieve phone, dust off ego, climb back in plane, run-up, and depart sheepishly.

Neil
KDVO

'98C, I'll be happy to clear you to taxi... as soon as you untie your right wing."

My very first primary instructor (whose name started with a K) was also my boss (I answered phones and washed aircraft at the flight school). One day, a man and two GORGEOUS brazilian women came in, and the man paid for a discovery flight for the two young women.

After a nervous preflight, K---- and the two women climbed in, started up, and taxied forward about three inches before we heard the engine shut down.

K--- got out, untied the tiedown, climbed back in, and they left.

From then on, we called him "Circle K."

Well then, while I feel much better knowing that I am not the only one that has lapses in concentration however, it now scares the **** out of me to know you guys are flying too! :eek:

;)

We can all do a better job of being aviators.

Thanks for all the great stories.

Last edited:
I dont suppose anyone else ever tried multiple times to start the engine with the mixture knob pulled out? The irony was....As normal, I had my hand on the knob.

distraction

Once at an air show, my flight was asked to make a couple of formation passes to fill some dead air time, no problem. Hop in the plane to fly #2 strap in and get my right seater (very veluptuous) straped in and ready to go. As you know air shows are like racing, hurry up and wait, only this time no wait. Cleared onto active and for take off, we start our t/o run and I can't keep up with lead?? Never had that happen before, do opps check on climb out because I am now sucked and can't figure out why, opps check good, but am now distracted by wind noise breaking squelch. Check right seaters vent, not pointing at her face, it's not, and I can't keep up with lead (never happened before)??? Long story short... use check list so you don't take off with flaps down and sliding canopy latched but not over center locked. Outcome good luckily due to clean living, lesson: USE checklist, use twice when distractions are possible. Gene

Confession time:

Several years ago, on a VERY dark night in the Persian Gulf about 10 miles behind the ship on approach, I was heads down doing something at 1200' wondering what the **** that noise was in my ears, it was really annoying me. It was the radar altimeter SCREAMING at me that I was below 1000' (thought that Otto was on altitude hold). I saw 260' and decending. :eek:

Gratuitous use of afterburner, and a lift limit pull were an ugly reminder to Aviate, Navigate.... everything else.

One more....

Many more years ago, I was working as a CFI in college at two different flight schools maxing out my legal flight time as much as possible, teaching in about half a dozen different types. 152, 172, M20J, Warriers, Seneca, Seminole, etc. One of the schools started using Grumman Tigers. The Tiger, unlike all the others was a left/right fuel selector... you can see where this is going.

I was working with a private pilot on his second or third lesson, and we were just working the pattern. Doing circuits to a go around, just to concentrate on the air work, not yet tranistioing to the landing. After about 45 minutes I was ready to RTB back to our home field. On the last circuit I opted to go ahead and let him transition to the flare, and a decent touch and go. On the upwind, crossing the threshold at about 200' the engine abruptly flamed out and I knew EXACTLY what had happened, and also knew we had no chance at making the turn. Off the end of the runway there was nothing but swamp and a large river. I grabbed the controls, switched tanks, and set best glide to ditch in the river next to a sailboat... and just hoped that the fuel would make it to the engine before we made it to the water.

The engine came back, we waved off the approach, and landed. I couldn't get out of the airplane for about 5 minutes... and told him exactly what I had done. Didn't seem to phase him, we refueled and went home. After that I decided I was in over my head, quit working for that school (stayed with the other) and reevaluated. I was leaning so far forward on my skis that I almost fell on my face.

No One is Exempt?.

So last week, we had family coming in to town, and they were going to get airplane rides. Both our planes needed fuel, and Louise was out of town, so I figured I’d hop in each one (in turn) to run over to our neighboring cheap fuel airport to top them up. Pulled out the RV-6 (which I only fly occasionally) and noted “pitot cover”. About that time, saw our neighbor and chatted with him about his next project. Walked back to the airplane, saying to myself “must do a complete preflight, since I haven’t flown it recently. Did a full walk-around, checking control surfaces, gear, oil (and oil door), prop…all those good things. Hopped in, fired up, took off, and as I prepared to let down 10 minutes later, note…..ZERO AIRSPEED! Yup, got distracted, that pitot cover was in my “short term memory”, got purged….and now I owe Louise a pitot cover flag, because it’s only about half as long as it was before I beat it to death at 150 KIAS….

(Uneventful landing BTW – probably one of my better ones in the RV-6. There are times when it helps to simply not think too hard.)

Paul

Last edited:
"because it’s only about half as long as it was before I beat it to death at 1450 KIAS…."

Your RV goes Mach 2!! Holy cow!

{gee, I have no idea what you mean....;) thanks for catching the typo! pfd}

Last edited by a moderator:
My more recent goof was getting to the run-up in the RV-6, bringing up the power for a mag check, and watching my iPhone:

skitter back from the nose...

up the cowling...

over the canopy plexiglass...

back over the empennage...

and off the tail into the weeds.

Shut down, climb out, retrieve phone, dust off ego, climb back in plane, run-up, and depart sheepishly.

Neil
KDVO

Aren't you glad you didn't build a pusher? Local Aircam guy ate a prop with a forgotten gas cap.

Me too

Yes, I admit I have done both the tiedown and chock thing. (separate occasions) Fortunately for the ego, they were recognized before too much embarasment ensued.

And. Ahem...I have learned that the Arrow climbs a heck of a lot better with the gear up. :eek: Nobody saw that one other than me.

It will be a relief to get my RV done and not have to worry about that anymore.

The most difficult experience to date was in hot weather (around 102F) parked on a sun baked ramp in South Carolina. I was alone, which was good, but the Arrow cockpit was so hot it was really hard to concentrate on being methodical while dripping sweat all over the checklist. No errors that time but it was nervy. I tip my hat to the fellows that accomodate this environment safely.

Turns around a tie-down point

Not heard it called that before, but I have done it ;-)

Got distracted while doing a walk-around of my Robin aircraft. Aircraft pulled (rotated actually) left as I tried to taxi. I thought the left brake was binding, so I applied right rudder and full power. More left rotation, so I shut down to take a look.

The left tie-down rope was taut as a guitar string. Impossible to untie the knots, and I bent the tie-down bracket.

In retrospect, I'm delighted to hear I get to share the honour with others!

Cheers...Keith

So there I was....

In a rush to get out to the airplane, as we were late for a LFE (Large Force Employment) push. Quick walk around, jump in, strapped to the seat. Minimum time from engine start through takeoff. During the climb towards the airspace I see this tiny little light, just to the right of my right knee. I look down at the seat arming handle and sure enough....I forgot to arm the seat. DANG, slow down and look around to make sure that I hadn't missed something else. DANG IT AGAIN! I forgot to put on my leg straps on the harness. It connects me to the parachute! DOH. It's a known fact that F-16's are sometimes lost due to engine failures. Some even call them a lawn dart. Imagine this;

Engine quits on takeoff

Boldface applied (Zoom, Stores Jettison, EJECT)

Why am I still in the aircraft?

Arm the seat and PULL (whew, barely made it)

Out of the jet I go

Seat separation

Canopy pops

I go right through the harness and plummet to my demise.

Bottom Line? Inattention and complacency can KILL.

Cheers!

turns around a tie down point

Not heard it called that before, but I have done it ;-)

Got distracted while doing a walk-around of my Robin aircraft. Aircraft pulled (rotated actually) left as I tried to taxi. I thought the left brake was binding, so I applied right rudder and full power. More left rotation, so I shut down to take a look.

The left tie-down rope was taut as a guitar string. Impossible to untie the knots, and I bent the tie-down bracket.

In retrospect, I'm delighted to hear I get to share the honour with others!

Cheers...Keith

Might try that on my next flight review if there are a lot of thermals or high winds. Would be much easier to hold altitude/position while turning.

I have a very good friend and fellow RVer who spends most of his days at his hangar at an airport just ten minutes from me. He is a CFII and being due for a flight review in two months I decide to fly over to coordinate a date for the event. I mean, no sense in wasting an entire phone call when a simple flight will do! That morning I hopped in my seven, started the engine, and pulled the canopy closed. I do this so the EFIS, with it's magnetometer located aft of the baggage compartment near the top of the fuse, isn't confused by the steel of the open slider canopy frame as the EFIS goes through it's alignment phase. After warm up and the other checklist items, I taxied out and took off. Immediately I heard a huge whoosh of air. Yip, the canopy was not locked. Instinctively, I reached for the latching handle, but, everything was flying fine so why mess with that! Just fly the airplane. Go around, land, latch the canopy and go.

I reach my destination and after a good visit and setting a date for the "check ride" we walk back to my airplane. I get in, strap in, run through a very abbreviated checklist, I look up to see my instructor waving his arms. I lean out and he asks if I want my oil door closed. He closes the door and backs up. I yell, "clear prop" and wait the obligatory 5 seconds. Just as I start to turn the key I see my friend/instructor shake his head back and forth as he draws his finger across his throat. Again, I lean out and he asks if he would like the chocks removed.

Onceth confessedth herein, said oversite shall never be spoken of againth. :D

.........until those pesky airport bums bring it up, again, and again, and again. ;)

Wanna know what is really bad? I get up this am and my name is in the local paper's obituaries. Hmmmmmm.

Last edited: