Brent Colvin

Well Known Member
Hello all,

Wondering what to use for conduit in wings. Have read horror stories about trying to get Van's corrigated conduit into wings. I have seen 40 ga PVC ele. conduit at hardware stores, will that work? Or is it to thick & heavy? Thanks :confused:

Hi Brent,

I used regulary old gray PVC from the aircraft section of Home Depot in my -6 wings. No issues to date (5 years flying).

Best,
Doug

Last edited:
Yes, it will work, and yes, it's kinda heavy. Pulling the Van's conduit through the wings was not a lot of fun, but it was manageable and it sure is light and functional. I'd do the same again.

Home Depot sells stuff that is a little smaller than Vans. I put that in and then used a fish tape to pull the wires through.

conduit alternative

I am not sure yet if this is going to be what I use but I did purchase some foam rubber insulation material normally used for insulating central a/c freon lines. It is very light weight and has a smooth inside surface for running wires through it. It is very flexible but does not have the accordion wrinkles of most flexible conduit. It is also cheap. I believe I bought a 10' section of it for around $2.50.

I have been thinking that this would be a good material to use for wire runs. I actually had bought some of this for another build project but went a different route with that build. As I said, I am not sure if I will go this route or not on the RV but I cannot see why it would not work. It would definitely be much lighter than electrical conduit.

Brent Colvin said:
Have read horror stories about trying to get Van's corrigated conduit into wings.
I will echo William's comments... It really wasn't that bad. It took about 15 minutes to do each wing and I broke a light sweat, but I too would do it again. After drilling, I deburred/edge-finished the holes really well, and I stretched the conduit as I pulled it throught the ribs (silly picture below) which made it much easier to install.

061125_002.jpg

I know a lot of people use PVC but I'll just put this out there....

"You only pull conduit once but heavy is forever"...

thin wall irrigation pvc

I got this idea from Jeff Bordelon and it works great. They sell some very thin wall PVC at HD or Lowes. Comes in 50' roll. It's about the same size a Van's but without the corrigated ribs, so it much easier to pull - especiallu if you've got a QB wing.

Brent Colvin said:
Hello all,

Wondering what to use for conduit in wings. Have read horror stories about trying to get Van's corrigated conduit into wings. I have seen 40 ga PVC ele. conduit at hardware stores, will that work? Or is it to thick & heavy? Thanks :confused:
After installing a run of PVC in one wing of my 6A, I came to the conclusion that Van's conduit is a good lightweight choice and by installing it the way I recently outlined, you avoid all the "horror" and it still comes in at a significantly lighter weight than using common PVC.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=14523

Drip Irrigation tubing

Before Van started selling his conduit builders used 1/2 inch drip irrigation tubing from the hardware store.

Heavier than Vans conduit, but smooth, fairly rigid and cheap... ;)

Personally, I like the Vans stuff.... :)

gil in Tucson

I use Vans tube and am happy...

After drilling the ribs I flared each hole and the tube pulled through just fine.

I flared with two sockets the smaller one with a neck. Place one socket on either side of the hole and force them together. Makes a nice flair just like the rib light holes.

Kent

drip tube

I went the drip tube route, after having it recommended to me by the local tech counselor. Free in my case, since I have several hundred feet left over from various projects. I got worried about the weight, so I cut another piece the same length as what I installed, and weighed it. 5 ounces per wing. I think the Vans tubing is lighter than that though.

Composite Tubing

I used a composite Carbon Fiber/Fiber Glass tubing. Tap plastic sells it, around $13 for 6'. Weighs about as much as a feather and is very rigid.
I was able to install after my wings where done as my first idea of running wires under the fuel tank did not pan out. It was impossible to put the corrugated stuff in or I would have done that as it seems to be the popular choice.

I sliced the Van's conduit alomg the entire length. It collapses to a smaller diameter for instalation, then can be "resized" back to normal once it's all the way in. Took 15 minutes to slice, and 30 to install in both wings.

Unless all your wiring is going from root to tip, you will have to cut some holes in the conduit anyway, and frankly, if I didn't tell you mine was slit, you couldn't tell.

Best,
Joe

Rick6a said:
After installing a run of PVC in one wing of my 6A, I came to the conclusion that Van's conduit is a good lightweight choice and by installing it the way I recently outlined, you avoid all the "horror" and it still comes in at a significantly lighter weight than using common PVC.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=14523
Can anyone who already has the Vans corrugated conduit give the weight of it? Preferably in foot increments so we can know that 1 foot of Van's conduit weighs X ounces. I would like to be able to compare it to other choices I have available locally.

Like Van's Conduit But Smaller?

Does anyone know of a source for the conduit like Vans sells only smaller?...like maybe 1/2" or 5/8" OD. I have seen some at Lowes & auto parts stores but it is slitted. I would like some NOT slitted.

I used a composite Carbon Fiber/Fiber Glass tubing. Tap plastic sells it, around $13 for 6'. Weighs about as much as a feather and is very rigid.
JonJay

Can you post a link to this "composite Carbon Fiber/Fiber Glass tubing"? I see "Filament Wound Epoxy Tubing" listed on TAP web site.

RVbySDI said:
Can anyone who already has the Vans corrugated conduit give the weight of it? Preferably in foot increments so we can know that 1 foot of Van's conduit weighs X ounces. I would like to be able to compare it to other choices I have available locally.

1' increment comes in at 1/2 ounce.

errata02720oh0.jpg

Let us know what your research reveals!

That's the stuff

Lux Wrangler said:
Can you post a link to this "composite Carbon Fiber/Fiber Glass tubing"? I see "Filament Wound Epoxy Tubing" listed on TAP web site.

That is the stuff I used. A standard sized Haco Bushing fits perfectly into the end to keep the edge from abrading the wires. I glued the Haco in with a dab of epoxy.

If you want a very tough, truly rigid, very light weight conduit, it is perfect.

Rick6a said:
1' increment comes in at 1/2 ounce.
Let us know what your research reveals!
Thanks Rick. I will post some data on common electrical conduit and on the foam rubber insulation material I have as soon as I can get home.

Filament Wound Epoxy Tubing

Originally Posted by JonJay

That is the stuff I used. (Filament Wound Epoxy Tubing)

Originally Posted by JonJay

Weighs about as much as a feather

Do you know the weight per foot? I assume you used the "od .745 x id .670 x 65" Epoxy Tubing"?

Nope, sorry.

Lux Wrangler said:
Do you know the weight per foot? I assume you used the "od .745 x id .670 x 65" Epoxy Tubing"?

That is what I used, which is twice as large as I needed for strobe, nav ant, anit collision, and taxi/ landing lights. The wire in the tube is heavier than the tube by far. If I had to guess, about the same wieght as the corrugated stuff from vans, but only a guess.

Just curious...

Just curious as to why everyone is using tubing at all. I'm not saying it's not a good idea, just not sure if there's any benefit to it. If you put grommets in all the holes and tie-wrap the wires together at 3 inch intervals (I think that's the proper interval), then why bother with tubing? I need convincing that it's a worthwhile endeavor outside of the "it looks better" arguement.

:confused:

lostpilot28 said:
Just curious as to why everyone is using tubing at all. I'm not saying it's not a good idea, just not sure if there's any benefit to it. If you put grommets in all the holes and tie-wrap the wires together at 3 inch intervals (I think that's the proper interval), then why bother with tubing? I need convincing that it's a worthwhile endeavor outside of the "it looks better" arguement.

Same here...I bought the conduit from Van's when I ordered the wings. Never used it, I went the grommet way and it looks fine and organized. Looked inside a Piper Warrior wing today and I feel that homebuilders often produce a higher quality finish than certified producers.

If anybody needs the Van's tubing, come and get it for free :) :) :) I'm at 52N005E

Thin Wall Extruded tubing

I installed seamless extruded type 6 nylon tubing, the same material Van's CVT (convoluted tubing) is made from. I opened up the holes in the ribs to 3/4" and installed rubber grommets which isolate the tubing from the ribs. The tubing is 16mm OD with a 1mm wall. Great for pulling about any size wire or coax for antennas. I have been thinking of selling a kit including the tubing and the all the gromments.

Mark Van de Bogert
N214MV
RV6A Flying 200+hrs

RVbySDI said:
I am not sure yet if this is going to be what I use but I did purchase some foam rubber insulation material normally used for insulating central a/c freon lines.

I would be concerned that this foam rubber insulation material would hold moisture. that could led to corrosion. The Cardinals had this problem with the old paper scat tubing used for fresh airflow above the head liner. The paper would hold moisture and where it came into contact with aluminum after time corrosion would start. Most owners have replaced this with the newer silicone scat.

Why tubing?

lostpilot28 said:

I think a big benefit to having some kind of a conduit is for future expansions and upgrades. You can't tie-wrap bundles onces the wings are closed up.

Who knows what technology will be available to us in 20 years, let alone 6 months? Which brings me to another point: When all your wiring is done and your ready to close everything up, put in a piece of pull string (fishing line works great). It won't weigh enough to register on a scale, and it'll make it very easy to add something down the road. ;)

When all your wiring is done and your ready to close everything up, put in a piece of pull string (fishing line works great). It won't weigh enough to register on a scale, and it'll make it very easy to add something down the road.

OR if you can use your shop vac to suck a tuft of tissue tied to a dental floss thru the conduit and pull wire with that. Weighs nothing, since you don't have to leave it in place.

Its Your Dime

craigvince said:
I think a big benefit to having some kind of a conduit is for future expansions and upgrades. You can't tie-wrap bundles onces the wings are closed up.
Ditto. Later on, maybe years later, you may decide to add a hidden wingtip antenna for VOR, marker beacon, or an additional comm antenna. Who knows...if not now, you might want to install light cutouts in the wingtips later. Perhaps you would like to add a second landing light in a leading edge or an AOA system. I've seen some autopilot installations use the outboard wing rib for servo placement. A conduit run merely provides you a measure of flexibility when planning upgrades and facilitates easier installations now and in the future. Like so many decisions to be made throughout the construction process, you will soon realize when custom building your airplane, this decision ranks among the early options to be considered. As with everything else, it is up to the builder to decide if the added utility of a conduit is really worth the effort.

craigvince said:

Who knows what technology will be available to us in 20 years, let alone 6 months? Which brings me to another point: When all your wiring is done and your ready to close everything up, put in a piece of pull string (fishing line works great). It won't weigh enough to register on a scale, and it'll make it very easy to add something down the road. ;)
Another consideration for conduit, if you ever have a problem with the wiring you can pull out the existing wire and replace it with some measure of ease compared to a wire wrapped installation. Heaven forbid it to happen, but if you get a varmint chewing on your wires, a chafed wire or some other problem that arises that requires you to pull the wire you will be much better off.

Garrie, thanks, moisture retention is an issue I will take into consideration on my decision to use that material or not.

RVbySDI said:
if you ever have a problem with the wiring you can pull out the existing wire and replace it with some measure of ease compared to a wire wrapped installation.

OK, that one alone pushes me toward the "use conduit" side of the fence. The future upgrade one is also valid. Now I have to start looking for conduit! :rolleyes:

lostpilot28 said:

In my case, because I reserve the right to be fickle- and occasionally disorganized. With the conduit, I can add or remove wiring easily even with the wings in place. In case someone comes up with some whiz-bang device that I just have to have, or a wire gets chafed, etc.

HOme Depot

OK, so I just went down to Home Depot and picked up 2 of these thin-walled tubes for a grand-total of $7.13. The best part is the outer-diameter of the tubes is .062" and the hole in the QB wings appears to be .0625.

These things fit perfectly. The hard part was removing the plastic grommets. If anyone wants the HD part number, let me know.

The p/n is 570005 (on the little barcode sticker) and it can be found in the automatic sprinkler section of Home Depot. It's kind of an off-white color. Good luck!

lostpilot28 said:
OK, so I just went down to Home Depot and picked up 2 of these thin-walled tubes for a grand-total of $7.13. The best part is the outer-diameter of the tubes is .062" and the hole in the QB wings appears to be .0625.

Did you mean 0.62? Your not going to get many wires in a conduit that is 1/16" dia.