prkaye

Well Known Member
I have the flexible conduit for wiring from Vans. I drilled the holes in my wing ribs as per Vans instructions. They say to gob some proseal around the edges of these holes to prevent them from cutting through the conduit. One thing is not clear to me... is the idea to gob the proseal around the holes and then let it dry before pushing the conduit through? Or to push the conduit through while the proseal is still wet (messy job??) so that it dries in contact with the conduit?

Push through, and gob it on

Hi Phil,

We pushed it through, then gobbed it on. You just want to prevent the vibrations from having the rib cut through the conduit.

Phil:

You might try RTV; it's easier to work with. Put a bead on both sides of the rib around the conduit after it's installed.

Jekyll

Ok thanks. And how much conduit did you guys leave sticking out of the end ribs (inboard and outboard)?

I left a foot on the root and about 6" on the tip. Can be trimmed back later if needed.

I try to avoid RTV in permanet installations, it's not really great for aluminum, and it comes off after awhile. I'd stick with proseal.

Jekyll said:
Phil:

You might try RTV; it's easier to work with. Put a bead on both sides of the rib around the conduit after it's installed.

Jekyll

Aviation grade RTV

Non acidic RTV is fine on aluminum. Proseal is great stuff but probably overkill for the conduit. I used high quality RTV for the conduit and also for snap bushing plus many other places where I don't really need the strength of proseal.

what about silicone adhesive?

How about silicone adhesive? I used a few dollops of it to adhere a heavy telescope mirror to a metal mirror mount a number of years ago and it is still strong and flexible. I suppose Van's recommends Proseal (or its equivalent) as that is what they have handy.

I have gone to Home Depot and asked for RTV and I got this wierd look. I thought everyone knew what RTV was, but they don't seem to have it.

They can't even spell RTV

Jeff R said:
I have gone to Home Depot and asked for RTV and I got this wierd look. I thought everyone knew what RTV was, but they don't seem to have it.
I bought a tube of silcone especially made for aluminum sealing/bonding at HD to use in my elevator TE's. Be a guy and don't ask for help. Just find it yourself!

Jeff R said:
......I thought everyone knew what RTV was.....
Quick sports fans.....without looking it up (VAF honor system), who will be the first to tell us what RTV stands for? :)

Rick6a said:
Quick sports fans.....without looking it up (VAF honor system), who will be the first to tell us what RTV stands for? :)

How 'bout Room "Temperature Vulcanizing"? Which in itself doesn't say much since there are lots of flavors, many of which are not acidic. I've used a couple of Dow Corning types that were specifically intended for aluminum, in marine applications, though it's been so long that I don't remember part numbers anymore. It stuck great, and didn't corrode 6061-T6.

Vans recommends the Red, High Temp RTV sold at any auto parts store for the TE's on the rudder, elevs. and Ails.. I used Permatex from Auto Zone. About 3 bucks a tube. I'm sure you can use it anywhere else, if it doesn't hurt the control assy's it shouldn't hurt your wing ribs. I will use proseal because I think it adheres better but it probably doesn't matter that much.

Has anyone tried GOOP,(RV,Plumbers, Household) available at Home Depot or Lowes.
Has a tenacious hold on glass to metal and metal to metal plus who knows what else.
Try it you might like it & no acidity
Harold