MikeJ 7A

Is it worth it.

I have friends that did the lasik eye surgery for distance vision. They all loved it, but the no free lunch rule applies.

I had heard about far sighted correction (for near vision) but don't know anyone who has has it done.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you are older than 40-45 its almost inevitable we will all need reading glasses. I can squeak through a First Class medical, but when I am tired, at altitude, night, low light, I could use reading glasses. My eye doctor said I will need glasses in a few years.

The way it was explained to me as you get older your eye muscles are just not as elastic. I know that is a crude explanation and optometrist all over the world are "rolling their eyes", but for the sake of conversation that is approx what is going on.

I would ask yourself if its worth the risk & cost just to get rid of reading glasses. Also consider the operation is not permanent. As you age your eyes continue to change. It may last 5 years? 10 years?

George

PS also the grounded for 6 mo and the FAA scrutiny of yourmedical are not worth it to me.

George,

If those optomitrists are "rolling their eyes," then they had better stop, because that's how mine explained it to me.

Tracy.