KALEWIS

Well Known Member
Hopefully a sticky thread here

Looking for posts on what everyone has found ( good or bad ) on the yearly condition inspection for the RV-12. Include the 100/200... Etc for the Rotax.

For 328KL
88 hrs on the tach
Brakes needed replaced
Tires needed flipped on the wheel
Nose tire was good
Nose fork bearings needed greased
Motor mounts were still torqued at 30 ft lb
Hoses looked good
Magnetic plug was good ( light fuzz which Lockwood said was normal )
Plugs all clean and light gray. Gapped to .23 for cold ops
Installed a reiff preheater for the rotax

No major anomalies

service items

brake linings replaced at 300 hours, tyres reversed at 200 hours, nose wheel bearings replaced at 200 hours, prop retracked at 200, 300 and 325 hours,
replacement fuel pump ready to fit at 325 hours, rudder clevis bolts replaced at 300 hours , antiservo clevis bolt replaced at 300 hours, 4 exhaust springs at 250 hours

88 hrs on the tach
Brakes needed replaced

What? :eek:

Learn to taxi please. Do not drag brake, only stab at the brake to get the directional change. Eventually you get good at the amount of stab required.

I see people on the brakes the whole time. Slowly adding more power, then more left, then more right and then even more left brake and more power.....and on it goes.

Minimal power, maximum rudder, and only use the tiniest amount of brake needed to make a stab of the brake to the right direction.

Don't land too fast.

We do 200+ hrs a year in the -10 and at each annual we look measure and reckon we would get another 200 hours. We still change them anyway but they are 55% worn after 220 hrs, and we haul big loads.

I hope that helps you rethink your ops.

What? :eek:

Learn to taxi please. Do not drag brake, only stab at the brake to get the directional change. Eventually you get good at the amount of stab required.

I see people on the brakes the whole time. Slowly adding more power, then more left, then more right and then even more left brake and more power.....and on it goes.

Minimal power, maximum rudder, and only use the tiniest amount of brake needed to make a stab of the brake to the right direction.

Don't land too fast.

We do 200+ hrs a year in the -10 and at each annual we look measure and reckon we would get another 200 hours. We still change them anyway but they are 55% worn after 220 hrs, and we haul big loads.

I hope that helps you rethink your ops.

Replaced the brakes because we wanted too, not because they were worn to shoe. The -12 is very light compared to a -10. It takes a bit more brake usage when in windy conditions. The nose is very light and doesn't always stay where you put it. Even a slight grade on a taxiway will cause unwanted steer. That was 88 tach hrs. Hobbs reads 113. Also have close to 250 landings on it so far. Never landed faster than 60kts either. Ever fly a -12? It has a large tail surface to weathervane on the ground. Since your down under you won't have to cringe while watching me taxi.

Last edited: