MartySantic

Well Known Member
Something to check.......

During my June inspection found the A-1211 Flaperon Pivot Guide bolt loose. It's the AN3-12A shown on Page 30-04 in the plans. Next to the fuselage at the end of the flaperon.

Suggest you check. Maybe check every year. Kind of important.

Aren't bolts subject to rotational forces supposed to have castle nuts and cotter pins?
Joe Gores

Aren't bolts subject to rotational forces supposed to have castle nuts and cotter pins?
Joe Gores

Yes they are.
If you look at this one closely, and anylize how this fastener joint works, you will see that this fastener is not subject to rotation

Yes they are.
If you look at this one closely, and anylize how this fastener joint works, you will see that this fastener is not subject to rotation

OK...... I was anal when it came to torquing all of the bolts to the specification in Section 5. Why was this one so loose? There was 1 1/2 turns to get it close. Will pull the wing and torque with the wrench. Something is happening.

Pulled the wings today and had to re-torque the bolt on the right wing. Do not understand why I had to do this. As mentioned, it is not subject to rotation. Just put a wrench on the exposed bolt and see if it spins with a minimal torque. Suggest adding this item to your condition inspection checklist.

Bad bearing?

Marty,
If the Com-3-5 bearing in the W-1212 hinge is frozen or stiff it will cause that bolt to rotate.

Thanks Tony..... Checked, per your suggestion, after torquing the bolt after pulling the wing end retorque, the bolt is not rotating, so at least for now, I am assuming the bearing is not frozen. It may have been in the past. Squeezing those rivets around that bearing has been an issue for many. Will have to check it each year.

Last edited:
The recent revision to Page 32-09 and the Maint Manual now calls for lubrication of the A-1211 pivot guides and actuation brackets.