MartySantic

Well Known Member
Has anyone developed a condition inspection checklist in Word/Excel etc., that lists all inspection elements for the RV-12 (airframe and all of the Rotax requirements) in a single document. If so, please share.

Has anyone developed a condition inspection checklist in Word/Excel etc., that lists all inspection elements for the RV-12 (airframe and all of the Rotax requirements) in a single document. If so, please share.

Marty,
You could always consider using the inspection check list that is supplied in the back of the Maintenance Manual that cam with your kit.

Sorry, now I notice that you mention single document. Printing off the Rotax documents from the CD is easy. A condition inspection is technically two parts anyway (the airframe and then the engine/firewall fwd.)

Last edited:
Here is a request for one of the more anal-retentive I mean conscientious members of the forum to come up with such a document, one that would not only be the stuff from Vans and Rotax but would also incorporate some of the things I've seen on the forum - like checking/lubricating some particular moving parts on the carbs (if I remember right..., see I need to look that up! I need to have a better system for keeping notes about useful stuff I see here!)

My fuselage is in the paint shop! Pics later this week!

Close but not...

I made up my own checklists, but I wanted separate ones for the Condition Inspection and the 100 Hr and 200 Hr Rotax since they are slightly different. They are in Excel format and if you would like to combine them all in to one it wouldn't be hard. They can be found at http://www.hangara13.com/RV-12Project.html. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Condition Inspection Timing

Do most people do their's during the month its due or ground it the last day and do it the next month?

Different things?

As I read it, the Condition Inspection and 100/200 hour checks are different things. There's a little bit of engine checking to be done under the CI but major work (compression check, etc,) is a separate event unless times coincide.

Peter, 43WM's pink slip was issued Sept 2010. I plan to start the inspection October 1st, and then Nov 1st next year so I don't lose flying weather. I may push it back further than that, I'll have to wait and see.

Wayne 120241/143WM

For me, that would mean doing the inspection in December/January. I don't think so!! Will move it up a month this year. The temperature in the hangar will be much nicer!!

I used both the Van's Mtc manual/inspection list as well as the Rotax outline for engine. I worked thru it for the first condition inspection, but have promised myself to make up my own combining the best features of each as there is too much bouncing back and forth. Sorry I didn't do it yet but will and will share in event someone wants to use as outline. Regarding date of start I began at end of month (June) so I could move it on down the line from summer temps. My wife unfortunately broke her arm in July (darn horses) and so I didn't complete until August. Next year I will move it into Sept. for cooler inspection times.
Dick Seiders

Marty's Solution

At the request of Marty Santic I have posted his version of the RV-12 checklist as he has no where to post it. It is at the bottom of the page found at the following link titled "Alternative RV-12 Condition Inspection Checklist. Please feel free to use any, all, or none of them.

http://www.hangara13.com/RV-12Project.html

Thank You Marty!

Thank you Marty for doing all that work! I'll definitely try following this one along in parallel with the "official" lists when I do my first inspection in January.

Inspections

Could someone please clarify for me. As the builder of an ELSA, which inspections are we authorized to do on the engine and airframe? Condition inspections, 100 hour? I know we need the 16 hour repairman's class for the annual. This is a little confusing for a first timer.

Thanks, Rick.

Could someone please clarify for me. As the builder of an ELSA, which inspections are we authorized to do on the engine and airframe? Condition inspections, 100 hour? I know we need the 16 hour repairman's class for the annual. This is a little confusing for a first timer.

Thanks, Rick.

Actually, being the builder doesn't authorize you to do any (FAA required) inspections on an E-LSA (or any other experimental).
Being the owner, and having completed a 16 hr. class for Repairment/Inspector, authorizes you to do the yearly (annual) condition inspection. There is no 100 hr inspection required of an E-LSA by the FAA. However, Rotax requires a 100 hr inspection on the engine. Not having records of the 100 hr inspections being completed could effect the outcome of a warranty claim.
For any aircraft with an experimental certificate of airworthiness, the ultimate authority is always the operating limitations for your airplane. Check those to see what the inspection requirements are.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, almost forgot about the good ol operating limitations :D . Also, if anyone is interested, I received an email and... Rainbow Aviation Services, of Corning, CA ph# 530/824-0644 is offering the light sport repairman workshop before the Sebring Expo., Jan 13- 14 or Mon-Tues the 14th-15th *(dates are still not firm). I think the cost is $375.00.

Rick