McFly

Well Known Member
I am doing my first condition inspection and need to check the timing on the LS ignition. The engine manufacturer installed and timed the crank sensor unit so this is all new stuff to me.

I looked on the LS web site about how to check/change the timing, yikes. :eek::eek: For those of you flying behind LS units with a crank sensor, have you ever found it necessary to retime?

Any helpful hints/war stories welcome. (O-360, one LS Plasma II, one mag, 9.2 compression). Thanks.

I certainly think you need to verify the timing at annual.

I follow the instructions on the LS website with a timing light.

I highlight the timing mark on the pulley with chalk or white paint. I do it at dusk when the light shows up better.

I stand up in the cockpit, lean over the windshield, lean forward, and shoot it.

This only works with sliders of course.

Simple to check with a standard auto timing light but should never change in theory. Make a mark on the flywheel with a little nail polish (drys fast) and hit it with the light. Yours should be 16d with the vaccum disconnected and 35d when it's connected. Good to check both to make sure the advance is working properly. I had a friend who installed the LSI and never installed the vaccum hose, we could never figure out why his drop on the LSI was excessive (about the same as the mag). One day I was working under his panel and asked him if he had disconnected the vaccum hose from the LSI unit for some reason, the blank look he gave me and "I don't know what you're talking about" answer solved the excessive drop he'd been seeing on the LSI for the last 2 years :eek: There are adjustment slots in the pick-up if you need to change it. Probably time to pull the prop anyway to clean out the crank cavity :D

Hall Effect

Setting the timing is very easy if you are using the rear accessory case Hall Sensor. It has a built in LED timing light to initially set the timing. Verification is then done with the engine running and an automotive style timing lilght. Be DARN CAREFUL when working around spinning propellers!:eek:
Check LSE's website for the actual procedure.

LOL

John,

"I stand up in the cockpit, lean over the windshield, lean forward, and shoot it."?

What an image. I love it.