mcattell

Well Known Member
Here in the Northwest as most of you may know we get weeks and weeks of high humidity, gloomy, overcast and rainy weather. During this time I can go out to the hanger and have condensation laying on the wings, dripping off the fuselage and coating a large amount of the airplane. Unfortunately like most public use airports around here the hangers are not heated, have gaps around the sliding doors and are open to other adjoining hangers in the rafter space. I'm sure all this condensation laying on the airplane can't be a good thing. Heating an uninsulated hanger with a single 120 volt outlet that is open to adjoining hangers isn't an option. Some type of dehumidifier is probably also not an option with the volume of space. I thought about covering the airplane but that may just trap the moisture. So does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce or eliminate this condensation?

I know here in Arkansas I insulated the ceiling in our barn to stop the condensation from dripping all over the hay. In the winter when the sun hits that metal roof it rains inside the barn. Other than that I'm not sure what you could do.

Around here condensation happens because the cool temperature of the airframe mass lags behind a rise in air temperature, most often when warm moist air comes up off the Gulf. Many owners run a cheap box fan (on low or medium) to circulate air around the airframe and thus keep air and airframe temps the same. It works.

Vapor Barrier ?

Hey Rob.. I have been thinking about your specific issue with the water soaking up through the concrete, and while having no direct experience... Maybe you can buy some thin plastic painters tarp from home depot. Super cheap stuff that will cover lots of area and just lay it on the floor under the plane (not over it) ;-). Sort of like a vapor barrier over the concrete. Might be worth a try if you can't find anything else and if it is the water coming up from beneath that is causing your problem.

I have some plastic painter tarp if you want to give it a shot. It might be something that helps until mid July when our weather improves around here. ;-)

Good luck finding a solution. - Thx

concrete slabs with excessive moisture...

...is something I have some familiarity with.

I have used concrete sealers to reduce moisture with some success. You'll want to use a calcium chloride test to measure the amount of moisture coming through the floor; that will determine what sealer product to use. The stuff I've used before was just rolled on. Simple.

Pretty sure that's what they do to concrete at Fred Meyer's and other grocery type stores that have concrete floors.

I've been told that a plain cotton sheet will absorb moisture off the surface, and allow it to evaporate or wick away through the fabric. Get a set of double-size flat sheets, and drape one over each wing. I meant to do it myself this winter, but kept forgetting to do it. Until yesterday my larger problem was a roof that would either drip condensation down on my wings or simply leak rain onto them. Today I moved to a new hangar with no leaks. No idea what the condensation on the wings will be like though... :)

Mark, I have had a problem in my hangar with block walls and concrete floor. I can remember times when the airplane looked like it had been sitting in a rain storm. The fix I found was to put a large piece of old carpet (either out of your house or drive around find one being thrown out in the garbage from a neighbor) it has to be big enough to extend completely under the airplane (wings and tail) you can use more than one piece put together. It has worked out great for me, try it, its free ...........
Gary

COLUMBIA 400 fire

A hangar neighbor was bothered by humidity so he bought a dehumidifier and put it in his porta-hangar. It caught fire and melted his plane. Totaled!

It was about the prettiest new production plane I'd ever seen.

Around here condensation happens because the cool temperature of the airframe mass lags behind a rise in air temperature, most often when warm moist air comes up off the Gulf. Many owners run a cheap box fan (on low or medium) to circulate air around the airframe and thus keep air and airframe temps the same. It works.
This really makes sense, if the airplane and the humid air are the same temperature there will be no condensation, Thanks for the great idea, I'm going to try it. The only way it can work is to have it running continuously during the cold season so the airframe says the same temp as the air. Dan, is one fan enough?

...if the airplane and the humid air are the same temperature there will be no condensation......Dan, is one fan enough?

Yeah, just a cheap 24" box fan on low. Put it alone in the middle of a bare floor area in case of malfunction.

I have an unheated storage building. It is insulated but the concrete floor is not. I keep my New Holland tractor and various pieces of equipment in there. I had the same problem and did not like the surface rust it was creating. My solution was to remove the stainless steel chimney cap (use to have heat when it was a shop) and installed a turban fan that is used in barns. The wind rotates it and it creates a draft. I leave a window open a small crack and this flow of air keeps the inside at the same temp. as the outside. Very pleased at the outcome, I've never seen the floor and equipment wet since. I keep my snow plow in there and the paint is blasted off. It use to get rusted but not any more, sure you will have rust on your hand if you rub it but not flakes like before.
Ron

fan

I agree with Dan. I have 2 ceiling fans and the previous owner told me to leave one just barely turning on the lowest setting and things would be fine. I turned it off one day and the next morning everything was sweating and dripping. South Texas humidity..... turned it back on and no problem since.

Go figure huh. :D