AlanNZ

I'm New Here
Good affternoon all,

I'm aboutn to start a RV7 quickbuild and are trying to sort out what size compressor I need. I have purchased the RV7 toolkit from planetools.com.

I have just spotted a 2.5hp 40CFT compressor at the local hardware store. Would this be big enough or do I need bigger?

Any help on this would be fantastic as I'm a newbee!

Thanks

Use of compressor

I only intend to use it for the tools (Rivet gun, squeezer) and a small amount of priming.

I understand the wings and the fuse are primed by Vans as part of the quick build?

The compressor on special has a 40ltr tank and a 2.5hp engine.

Thanks

I am not priming or painting thus I do not require a high CFM. My vertical Brute 125PSI, 10 Gal, 2.5HP oiled compressor with 5.1 SCFM @ 40 PSI and 4.2 SCFM @ 90 PSI is more than sufficient so far.

HP is not a true value with these electric compressors, so I would not even look at that value. You should find a compressor with enough CFM that will best match your tools. In my case, and most, my high CFM tools (such as an air drill or die grinder) are used in short bursts. The compressor has ample time to catch up when it kicks on.

If I were to do it over again, I would buy the exact same compressor.

Last edited:
I built with a smaller compressor than you are looking at and didn't find it to be a problem. I even primed the inside, but I will admit that required a little patience. As to oiled/oilless, they are both noisy to my ears. If it is portable and won't bother the neighbors, set it outside and run a line inside. When we began the RV-12 build at the school, that is what we did (now we have plumbed in air---totally silent!) Or you could build a sound-deadening box for it. Small compressors are versatile.

Bob

I have a 26 gal oil-less compressor. It's great for 95% of stuff but anything that uses constant air, like an air drill, will keep it chugging hard.

This is once place you'll be happy you didn't go cheap. My next will be 30+ gal and oiled. The oil-less are loud and only get louder as they age. It'll also over heat and shut down until it cools under high demand.

not building yet but do a fair bit of automotive work with air tools, so I'm not sure the demand the tools you guys are using but my thought is get the biggest oiled compressor you have room for. You see those upright husky compressors at big box home stores and they're only about $500. The oiled are a little quieter and the bigger tank will need to refill a lot less often, both critical to me working around my house and neighbors and for my own hearing protection. The less it cycles the less chance of problems IMO too.

I only intend to use it for the tools (Rivet gun, squeezer) and a small amount of priming.
Thanks

If your only going to use it for a rivet gun and squeezer, you can get away with a really small one, even get away with a 2 gallon pancake (I built my entire empennage with one of these).

Its when your going to use any type of tool that requires a constant flow of air, i.e. grinder, drill, sander, paint gun, etc you will need a compressor with substantial beef.