FLYPTV

I am on a very slow build process. Spending the next ten months or so getting me and my garage ready to build. I have been cleaning out and setting up lighting and benches. Since I had the electrician out today for some lighting instalation, I figured I may as well have an outlet installed that would allow for a lot of power. Maybe too much? I went with his recomendation, and had him put in an 240volt 20amp outlet.

Now, I have PLENTY of light. I think the International Space Station will veer off course when I open up both garage doors and turn on the lights! :eek:

So, the reason for my post. . . What Compressor do you recomend? The curent plan is a slow build -8 (hopefully factory "fastback'). Not sure whether I will do much painting at the house, maybe just the small jobs, chromate etc. . .

I am very early on in the process and trying to be very methodical about things. I am optimistic if I put a lot of thought and planning into the project I will avoid many of the expensive pitfalls that kill projects.

Please give me your thoughts on compressors. Thanks guys!

Van's says that any 1/2 to 2 hp home shop compressor will work and recommends at least a 20 gallon tank so you won't have to run it so much.

I faced this same dilemma about two months ago. I was had settled on the 26 gallon wheeled compressor from Home Depot. (VT6315) But for only $22 more, I got the 60 gallon, 220 volt unit. (VT6314) I paid to have an electrician wire the compresspr. Since you already have the line installed, this should be an easy choice for you.

One thing I like about the 60 gallon compressor is that because I am a notorious insomniac, I like to work on the plane in the middle of the night. with 60 gallons of air in the tank, I would guess I can squeeze about 100 rivets without the compressor kicking on and waking the entire family.

Thanks Larry, that looks pretty nice. I was so focussed on Craftsman I didn't even think to look at HD. That would fit perfectly in the space I have available. You say you can work without waking up the family, I don't think I'll be able to do that as the girls bedrooms are above the garage. I don't want to disturb the neighbors though and I plan to mostly work between 8am and 2pm while the family is at school. Does this unit require an enclosure, or is it quiet enough, that isn't necessary?

It's in my price range too. Let see what others have to say.

Of course you can get by without buidling an enclosure for the VT6314. Sure, it loud, but not as bad as some I've heard... particularly oilless compressors. Fortunately, the unit doesn't cycle all that often unless you're running a sander or die grinder. The fact that the VT6314 throws off a lot of heat should be considered if you are thinking about an enclosure.

I have a dry crawlspace beneath my house... I was thinking of moving the compressor there. But I don't think it will make that much of a difference in my night time work.

I certainly can't use an air drill, grinder, sander, etc., during the night. But the pneumatic squeezer is very quiet. I'll get tired and go to sleep before I run out of air pressure.

I'd be out in the garage working right now, except that I painted the floor this afternoon.

BTW, I didn't read a single good comment about Craftsman compressors when I ws doing my research. The Husky is built by Campbell-Hausfield, as are Lowe's Kobalt models.

I didn't want to buy a Craftsman, but finally did. They had their 25 gal, oil type professional model which sells for $399. marked down to $279., and if I put it on my Sears card they knocked-off another 10%! The main advantage of this compressor is that it will run on 120 or 240 volts. I looked at the Lowes which said they were cast iron pumps, but when a magnet wouldn't stick to the pump crankcase I decided to pass. The Craftsman is an aluminum pump, but it is way quieter than any oil-free compressor.

Well, lets look at your needs.

Slow build. Way more rivets than quick build, means more use of compressor, so you want durability. This means NO! to the cheapie oilless stuff.

220v is more efficent than 110v. You have 220V already in, so use it.

Are you going to paint----primer and or final?? Paint guns, and prep tools such as sanders use a lot of air------you need a big tank. Also, you can shoot a lot of rivets with a big tank before the noise starts.

A 220v, oil filled crankcase, 60-80 gal tank fits your needs, and you will probably never wish "I shouda bought a bigger compressor".

Upright will save floor space, and IMHO is better at water seperation in the tank..

Mike

I have a 8o gallon 220v compressor that has sat unused unless I'm using DA or body shop type tools. I have got my slow build plane to the finish kit with a 2hp campbell hausfield 20 gallon comp and have never needed to use the bigger compressor. it is plenty for what you need.

Looks like the Huskey VT6314 from Home Depot fits the bill

Mike S said:
Well, lets look at your needs.

Slow build. Way more rivets than quick build, means more use of compressor, so you want durability. This means NO! to the cheapie oilless stuff.

220v is more efficent than 110v. You have 220V already in, so use it.

Are you going to paint----primer and or final?? Paint guns, and prep tools such as sanders use a lot of air------you need a big tank. Also, you can shoot a lot of rivets with a big tank before the noise starts.

A 220v, oil filled crankcase, 60-80 gal tank fits your needs, and you will probably never wish "I shouda bought a bigger compressor".

Upright will save floor space, and IMHO is better at water seperation in the tank..

Mike

Thanks for everyones input. Looks like the Husky VT6314 will do the trick and then some, it's only $100 more, and will probably have some "re-sale" value when the heavy lifting is complete. The lack of a need for an enclosure is a benefit too, I have a perfect space for an upright. Although this is a pretty big upright.

Not sure yet as to how much glass work I'll do in the finish area. That is a long way down the road. I hope to be in a Hangar by then and would probably do a lot of it myself, which means, YES, the bigger compressor is required.

Replacement Compressor

I had been using an oil less Husky 26 gallon compressor. It needed repair service not too long into its service life, was repaired under warranty, and just quit again. This was a spare unit from work so I figured it was time to get one of my own. I picked-up the Husky VT6315. It is quite a bit quieter than the old one, runs for a shorter amount of time and plugs into regular 110. The 60 gal was a few bucks more but I needed to get back to riveting so I went for the one I just needed to add oil and plug in. If I had the 220, well... :rolleyes:

-Craig

Bigger is better (at least it's quieter)

I started out with a 20 gallon Sears Craftsman, oiless compressor. When I was drilling, it ran continuously and just about drove me crazy with the noise. There were times when drilling thick material that I could feel the drill slow down in my hand as the compressor couldn't keep up with the pressure demands. That's not good for the tool or for making round holes.

When riveting the tank size is not as big a deal, but for lots of drilling (slow build kit), I'd recommend a larger compressor. I ended buying an 80 gallon, 6.5 hp DeVilbiss compressor from Home Depot. It does need 230 volt, and mine (bought 7 years ago) needed to be wired as well. But it sure proved to be a good investment. It seldom ran during a session of drilling holes and even less when riveting.

You don't have to have a unit this big, but something in the 60-80 gallon range is a lot kinder on your tools, and makes life a whole lot quieter.

For my money, I'd go bigger.

Chris

If you already have the 20 gallon, use it in the hangar for filling tires and small jobs.

I just bought a 25 gallon air compressor (the kind with oil) from Sears.

I'm really impressed with how quiet it is compared to my old compressor (which just died.) I charged it up the other night for the first time and could barely hear it in the house. I'll put it through it's paces this weekend but so far I like it.

The Sears $379 Oil-lube 25 gal... Only way to go if your limited to 120V.

Last edited:
The one I bought runs off 120V but is easily converted to 240V. Change some jumpers on the motor and change the plug. I'm just going to make a pigtail that the standard 120V plug will plug into on one end and then put the 240V plug on the other end. Don't know if that meets code but I don't think the electrons will care.

osxuser said:
The Sears $379 Oiless 25 gal... Only way to go if your limited to 120V.

You would be much better off with the oil-lubricated type, unless that's what you meant. Way quieter and it is rated for 100% duty cycle.

Just be Careful.....

svanarts said:
I'm just going to make a pigtail that the standard 120V plug will plug into on one end and then put the 240V plug on the other end. Don't know if that meets code but I don't think the electrons will care.

Scott,

I have done the same thing in the past....used a combination of pigtails to circumvent the "standards" to allow me to use the same cord and just change the jumpers in the motor. Works fine until someone else comes into your shop and plugs something in the wrong way - at best, you toast your motor, at worst, you start a fire.

Please don't get me wrong - I've done my share of "I'll just do this just once...", and I am not trying to preach....but no, this doesn't meet code, and while the electrons really DON'T care; at sometime, you or someone else might make a mistake. I finally just bought an extra cord, and put on the appropriate one (at the motor) as required....

Now If I could ever get myself to put on safety glassses, or wear ear protection...I might have a chance of being a role model.... :eek:

Paul

Go with the 220v, large storage capacity oil filled. I have a 60 gallon 2 stage single phase 14.3cfm at 175 psi Ingersoll Rand from Northern Tool. Costs a little more, but your hearing will appreciate time between recharge cycles, your air tools will never lumber, and you will not be dissappointed.

captainron said:
You would be much better off with the oil-lubricated type, unless that's what you meant. Way quieter and it is rated for 100% duty cycle.
Whoops, Yes, thats what I meant... OIL LUBE!!!