Ausflyer

Well Known Member
I am planning to start my wings and need to prime all parts as the aircraft will operate close to the coast. I have decided on the system and it requires epoxy primer spraypainting all the al components before rivetting. I want to build a small spraying cabinet to do all the small bits, say up to the size of a fuse former. The cabinet will be look like a sandblasting cabinet with a rotating table (bicycle wheel) and have an exhaust fan and flexible aircon duct to take the overspray away from me. I'm sure this must have been done before. Can anyone point me to a plan for such a cabinet?
(I will take the wing skins and other big pieces to a paint shop to be primed after alodining)
I also need to know the size of the biggest fuse former. Can anyone help?

Read your post with interest. I have been priming most all the interior parts with NAPA 7220 rattle can primer. It is not as toxic as the two part stuff, so I just have a piece of plywood set up in a corner of the shop, and use a respirator type mask with carbon filters. I time my priming so I do it just before I leave the shop for a while. You can see pictures if you visit my build log.

I am priming all small parts, but not the inside of the skins. Also not priming the wing spars, since Van's says they are OK as is. I live well inland from salt water.

But you have a different problem. Interesting idea building a mini spray booth. I will follow this thread to see if anybody points you to plans.

I have already competed the tail kit. The fuselage ribs come split into two pieces, and you should have no problem fitting them on a bicycle wheel sized turntable. If nobody else answers with an exact dimension I will measure them for you.

There many designs on line. Just type in " homemade spray booth" and you will find lots. I have made several over the years for wood projects and restoring old MG's. You mostly build one to suit the space you have available and the parts you need painted. You need to be very careful when you are confining spray mist. There is an increased risk of explosion when you use an enclosed area and add electricity. I am using the Steweart water based primer surfacer and spraying in an open hanger. No smell, no fire risk, and easy clean up. Fot general info on priming, try this link:http://users.cablemo.net/~jjshultz/sonex/corrosion.html

Good luck.

Here are a couple things to keep in mind:

I have used a sand blasting box like you described and the window would get lots of dust on it making it hard to see the part. That would be more critical with painting.

So, option 2: At work we had a booth for inspecting parts. You stood inside the booth and the parts were between you and the exhaust. It had a pretty powerful exhaust fan. We sprayed a powder-like material on the parts and you could see it swirl around and smell it because of the turbulence inside the booth. Yes, it kept the stuff out of room, but I wouldn't trust it to protect my lungs.

I watched a friend use the Stewart Systems prime his parts on his first try. Sprayed 4 or 5 coats, one coat less than recommended. With no prior experience, he got a beautiful job. Better than I ever got spraying outside with good old zinc chromate. If I were starting over, I would go with Stewart, but I still have a gallon of zinc.

Lastly, I have some epoxy primer but stopped using it early in the project because I could never be sure how much to mix up. Too much and that expensive left over paint is wasted; too little & you have to stop & mix more, and it takes a little while to set before you can use it.

I'm in the UK surrounded by salty water, and am priming everything.

I built a crude small paint booth for small parts. The parts sit on chicken wire.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=grmps&project=652&category=4317&log=68355&row=3

I also built a large paint booth where I work inside it. Large cardboard sheets ensure I don't paint the garage floor (too much).

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=grmps&project=652&category=4317&log=72870&row=1

Neither have fans or exhaust. However I purchased and use a Hobbyair full face respirator whenever I am priming.

Cheers...Keith

Last edited: