diamond

Well Known Member
I built my benches this weekend and will now focus on setting up my pressurized air supply. I have a 60 gal compressor ready to be plumbed and electrical hookup. I've seen instances where entire aircraft were built off a single air line from a portable compressor, all the way up to elaborate multi access points all over the shop. The purpose of this thread is to get an idea for what is really needed to make the build enjoyable with convenient access to air. I'm at a point where I can make it as simple or elaborate as I want. What is reasonable?

I like hose reels on the ceiling too but they are pricey. If you have the funds to do it they would be great. However, to answer your question, they are not necessary. Desirable, yes, but not necessary. I used a 60 gallon compressor with just one hose most of the time. Although I did purchase a three-way splitter and used some light weight hoses from Avery later on during the build you can do everything you need with just one hose directly off the tank. The multiple lines can come in handy if you are not building alone or if you wish to leave tools plugged into the line. This would save from swapping out tools all the time.

Either way it will all work out. You just have to decide how involved you wish to get in constructing your workshop or how involved you wish to get in constructing your airplane!

I haven't started building yet but I have my workshop set up now. I installed a black pipe along the wall with 2 access points and now that I look at how my workshop is set up, I think one access point will be enough.

One thing I did that I'm pleased with is I put the air compressor in my basement utility room. The back wall of my attached garage shares the wall with the utility room so I was able to run the supply line through a hole in the wall. I live alone so the noise won't bother anyone in the house and I can work in peace.

I'd suggest you start simple but leave yourself room to expand the system if you really need it.

Cheers,

I started a little fancy http://larrys-airplane.blogspot.com/2009/08/plumbed-for-air.html with five drops around the garage but now only seem to use one hose that hangs from the center of the ceiling (from a screw-in hook that used to hold a bike) and comes from the last drop that has a filter and oiler. Seems like the more I build, the less fancy I need or even end up using.

My experience was very similar. My first shop (10 x 30 basement with only a 6 ft sheet-rocked overhead) had 5 drops and I found I rarely had a use for more than one. I now use half of a two car garage (that'll have to change for the fuselage) and I just drape a hose down through the open rafters about mid-length on that half of the garage. The hose is off the ground so I'm not always walking (tripping) on it. If I need a little extra reach I use a plastic coiled hose. I keep the compressor reg at about 90psi for the drill and squeezer, and use an in-line reg for the rivet gun and paint sprayer. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me.

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/download/file.php?id=2798&mode=view

I have a hand crank hose reel from HF mounted in a bottom cabinet. When not in use, hose is out of the way. Hang downs were for me, always in the way. More important is pick a good air hose. GoodYear rubber is good. You want the hose to lay flat on the floor. And many of the blue type from HF come with a memory of their packing and will cause you to trip over the loops left behind. And one last thing, when finished with an air tool, disconnect the air line so when you trip or pull the air hose (and you will) you won't drag your best air tool off of the bench.

Hoses and such

I prefer a single good quality hose that can be rolled without being a pain in the &^%$. Anyone who has bought the "bargain" hose knows what I mean. I have the same hose I have used for 30 years, 50' long and find changing tools is easier than fighting 2 or more hoses. I would spend money on a good dryer/moisture seperator and get to building ! I stay away from lubricators to keep the line cleaner inside(if you do any painting), as the tools you use will only need a drop in the fitting every once in a while. If possible, as others have stated, locate your compressor outside,in the basement, or build a box (open top) around it with accoustic foam in it..quiet is better! This is just my preference, but I have made a living doing aircraft re-skinning and heavy modification for 31 years, so I have tried it all ! Get building!!

Air

I use two hoses. One is 100# for drill and squeezer and the other is a different material and color using the regulator for the rivet gun.
Different hose helps me from confusing the pressures and using 100# on a # 3 rivet. I usually disconnect the tool when done so one 100# hose works fine.

I use two drops in a basement shop. One has an oiler inline and the mini plugs from Cleveland for drills, grinders, and anything else that requires oil. The other is for the pneumatic squeezer, paint sprayer, and anything else that doesn't require oil.

My recommendation would be a springy coil hose drop over the workbench, a hose reel placed for use out in the large component riveting area and lastly a connection that is accessible near the exterior door for working outside.

Depending on the size of the shop, these three functions could be done with less than three connections.

My recommendation would be a springy coil hose drop over the workbench, a hose reel placed for use out in the large component riveting area and lastly a connection that is accessible near the exterior door for working outside.

Depending on the size of the shop, these three functions could be done with less than three connections.

Great input guys. As far as a connection near exterior door, what type of outdoor work are you talking about? non-RV stuff like filling auto tires? or RV related? priming parts with sprayer? maybe its just nice to roll the bench out in the driveway on a nice day to work on the plane?

Last edited:
I bought a 50' reel from Lowe's for $50. Mounted it on the ceiling of my garage in a somewhat central location. A springy coiled hose comes off of that and most of the time that amount of slack will get to any location in the garage. When I prime/paint, the extra hose on the reel gets extended out into the driveway (also works great for filling car tires). The reel is fed by a 1/2" copper pipe line. I put another outlet on the line over my workbench, but my workbenches are so filled up with accumulated stuff and junk, I never use that. At one point I had some pressure valves plumbed in, but the regulator broke and I removed it. I use the regulator on the compressor whenever I need to lower the line pressures to rivet. My advice is to keep it simple.

Depends..

It depends on how many people will be working at the same time. You running an assembly line?:D I've found that my setup works just fine and didn't cost much at all. I didn't go for the overhead setup because I didn't think it made much sense from a cost and time perspective. i installed multiple whiplines on my bench. This allows multiple tools to be used at once, keeps the lines lightweight and flexible, and allows me to keep pressure higher in the supply line, but 90 psi in the whiplines going to the tools. This allows only slight drops in the 90 psi static pressure at the tool. I have a retractable supply line that goes to the table, so it can be used on it's own (once I drop pressure down to 90psi), or I have another "floor line" that I can run from the table if needed. Most of the intial work is done on the benches. Once I move to a freestanding fuse, I will most likely use two reel lines, that can be retracted so they stay out of the way. Once you go to ceiling drops, I think you actually limit your flexibility. My $0.02.

Great input guys. As far as a connection near exterior door, what type of outdoor work are you talking about? non-RV stuff like filling auto tires? or RV related? priming parts with sprayer? maybe its just nice to roll the bench out in the driveway on a nice day to work on the plane?

Yes to all. I used an airbrush connected to compressor to do 99% of the primed parts on my plane. Touchup gun (the small one) once or maybe twice.

I have been working fiberglass for the last few months and the dust is horrendous. Outside work is preferred when possible.

RapidAir system

I used the Rapid Air system to plumb my garage for air. I have 4 outlets. Works great for me.