JonJay

Well Known Member
I know there has been some discussion on here, but can not find it.
I have purchased a project, non RV, which is very close to completion. It is a scratch/plans built replica of a Golden Age Racer, not a kit. This is a project more for my enjoyment than for something to fly, however, it will be fully airworthy and I would like to fly it at least once, then it is destined for a musuem.
The owner/builder died before completing the project. Since it is so far along, what are my options for getting it signed off, registered, etc...

What are the DAR's opinions that frequent here? someone have a similar experience?

To the best of my knowledge, you'll have no problems finishing it, having the FAA/a DAR sign it off, and you can do all maintenance on the airplane since it is a homebuilt. The only thing you will not be able to do is sign off the condition inspection (i.e., you can't apply for the repairman's certificate), since you did not build the majority of the airplane. So you'll have to have an A & P sign off that inspection, but everything else you can do on your own.

Congrats on your purchase :)

Heath Baby Bullet

It is a 1929 Replica of the Heath Baby Bullet. You can google and find lots of original pics and the articles in Sport Aviation on this particular project. There is one other replica of a 1928, same airplane but cowling was modified.
In 1928, the Heath Baby Bullet won the Cleveland Air Races averaging over 150mph on 32HP beating all of the competition with three times or more the HP. Really a neat story.
The builder of this plane died trajically last year. When I became interested in finding a "winter" project, my search led me to the Baby Bullet, which led me to this project. When I found out it had been abandoned, I was able to get in touch with the brother, flew my 6 to take a look, and ultimately secured it. The workmanship is top shelf. He has thousands of dollars into the machine and over nine years and hundreds if not thousands of hours building it. It would have been a shame to let it sit. It is a work of art as far as I am concerned and belongs in an appropriate Museum.
I wanted something 180 degrees off of the 6 that I built. I think I have found it. It will be fun.