txaviator

Well Known Member
Does anyone fly R/C helicopters? I have now found myself engulfed in yet another expensive hobby that is completely a blast!

These things are VERY tough to fly, especially with a model that has collective pitch on the rotors. I have a beginner's model which is fully aerobatic, but let me tell you...it is NOTHING like the flight controls we are all used to on the real aircraft.

These things are a blast! Does anyone else have an R/C helo?

Simulator

Used to. Did ok. My advice; use a simulator. Especially when getting into the 3D stuff. Aerochopper, TruFlite, CSM, RealFlight - I've used 'em all!! Oddly enough, the very old wireframe graphics AtariST version of Aerochopper I always thought was best for helis, though I also found the CSM simulator good. Truflite wasn't that good. Realflight I felt was too 'gamey'. I had three helis; MFA Sport 500 fixed pitch didn't last long!! That's what you get when you try to teach yourself using a very poor model. Kyosho Concept 30 was good. Aerochopper tuaght me to fly that one real quick. The Kyosho Nexus 30 was fun too, and the CSM sim got my involved in limited 3D stuff. Eventually, I quit as I found other pressures on my time and money. Good fun though. Might even get another heli one day, but probably won't do model planes again. All my models are listed on my website.

When you think you've mastered the RC helicopter, this video will put you back in your place :p

http://snipurl.com/re63

I've never had much luck with RC helicopters, which made this all the more amazing to me. This guy must be about the most coordinated man on the planet.

Rusty (wonder if Tobin could do this in one of those Navy choppers <g>)

RC choppers

I used to fly these also. Every mistake was $50 to $100 at least (1980s). When you are first starting, do yourself a favor and find a simulator and practice. Also when starting to actually learning to fly it, build a X out of dowels ( 2 to 3 ft long) and attach to landing skids. Put whiffle balls on all four corners of the ends of the dowels and start by practicing short "hops" of liftoff and hover. Spend hours doing this, when you can get to the point of controlling a hover then start to rotate and maintain hover. Once all of this is controllable, add small amounts of forward reverse and lateral cyclic inputs, back and forth. Next would ge to add auto rotation to your repertoire then, Once you master that then you can progressively get further away. My problem was I was good at all the above but when flying further away they get so small so fast you lose orientation and that is where you really can rack up the $$$! Be patient and careful with these.

It was fun while the money lasted, good luck!,

Heli's

I learned to fly on an Xell 60 and have had many since. Currently have a Blade CP and will bring that to Osh to fly in the camp ground. Looking another larger one now.

We were fortunate to have Jason Krause, one of the top 10 model heli pilots in the world do a demo at our Airpark Open House a few months ago. Even those with model experience were blown away by his skills and the ability of the helicopter. He was flying stock Raptor because his competition helis were being shipped to Taiwan for an International competition. He's a friend and after his flight I asked him why he was holding back. He said he hadn't flown that specific model in 3 months!!!

If you ever see one of the top dogs like Krause, the Szabo brothers, Youngblood you'll be amazed. These guys are good.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
RV-7 N717EE
Futaba Team pilot

I fly them. I currently have two X-Cell Fury's. One is a 60 and the other is the Fury Extreme. They are great helis. I was into it hardcore (3D flying) up until I started work on the RV-7. Now I just fly for fun every once in a while. I may sell one of the heli's now since I no longer need two...

- Matt

I did heli's for a long time. I still have a Kalt Enforcer and an XCell 30 kicking around back on the east coast. Nowadays, I'm flying a little EP Blade. It's just a blast to fly and requires nearly no time or maintenance on my part. It's significantly more difficult to fly than the larger .30 and .60 size heli's, however. Electric's have come so far in last couple of years it's mind boggling.

Wow! that video is awesome... I used to fly a shuttle, but not very well. They are really tough to fly - and like was said before - every mistake costs good money. I must have gone through half a dozen sets of rotors. That video was taken right down here at the electric airfield in Mission Bay San Diego, not 10 minutes from my house. I'll have to go down there one weekend and watch.

How about----

O.K., slight thread hijack here.

It seems that there are a lot of RV'ers who are, or were R/C flyers.

I think it would be cool if there was a "R/C" forum here at VAF.

Comments?

Mike

Then we'll need one for motorcycles, boats, snowmobiles.... you could see how that could spin outta control.

RC Forum

Mike S said:
O.K., slight thread hijack here.

It seems that there are a lot of RV'ers who are, or were R/C flyers.

I think it would be cool if there was a "R/C" forum here at VAF.

Comments?

Mike

Mike,

What a great idea. I am a rep for the Academy of Model Aeronautics, Futaba Team pilot and the Soaring columnist for Model Aviation. There is considerable crossover between the AMA and EAA. In fact, the AMA has a vital part in Airadventure including a double booth in the exhibition area and control flying in the kids area and some other activities. Additionally, the AMA displays at Sun n' Fun.

Likewise, the EAA has a booth at the AMA convention in Ontario CA every January. According to the AMA, the crossover membership (if I remember correctly) exceeds 80,000. Several of the local RVer's (builders or flying) are modelers and regularly fly RC.

In fact I'm currently writing an article for Model Aviation that discusses modelers who became "real" builders. A couple of featured people will be Matt Chapman, Dave Von Linsowe (former RV owner and many time Tournament of Champions competitor) and several others.

I think having a model forum would be beneficial in a lot of ways including the ability to buy and sell model stuff to fund RV stuff!!!! Plus, it is a related to aviation.

I'm bringing my electric helicopter and possibly a foamy to Osh!!!!

Steve, I would agree if your boat, snowmobile, or scooter had wings.

Darwin, Thanks for the post, glad to see someone thinks along the same line, where was your AMA column this month??

Mike

Heli's

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I have a Hummingbird, and got it free from a buddy of mine. Now, if I can just figure this thing out so I can get a Raptor 90! (fuse is almost 5-feet long!)

We have a few roaming peacocks in our neighborhood, and 3-4 dozen guinea's. I think it will be great fun chasing them around if I can figure this thing out :p

I've been flying R/C since the age of 8 years starting with sailplanes. Before that I was into Free Flight. Now 32 still have a couple fixed wing R/C models but Helis is where it's at. Since 1996 I've owned 2 Concept 30 SR-Xs, a Concept 60, 2 Raptor 30s, a Futura SE, Fury Extreme, Caliber 30 and now 2 Sceadu Evolution 50s.

RV7Guy I read your column in MA when your started your RV. I still like see what you soaring guys are up to from time to time. I have a couple slope soaring birds at the ready as well for more relaxing flying.

Last edited:
I flew with Curtis for years (he lived in Austin) and learned a lot from him. That was back when he flew X-cells. I have a few videos of him out at where we flew. Most interesting was watching him start fly Robbe's. If any one has seen his first video "Whats he doing now?" Well I'm proud to say I painted the Canopy of the copter on the cover. Im no pro but I did fly in Class III back in the early 90's. I recently had an ION which was the coolest of them all, sold it and now have a brand new (old X-cell) a buddy gave he he never flies. Just got a new tank for it and need to take it for a spin. I also have a CP which if fun cause it cost only about $30 a crash. Throw it in the car and fly it anywhere without worrying about killing someone.

Heres a pic of the ION I had.

-Jeff

HELIS%20034.jpg

idleup said:
I fly them. I currently have two X-Cell Fury's. One is a 60 and the other is the Fury Extreme. They are great helis. I was into it hardcore (3D flying) up until I started work on the RV-7. Now I just fly for fun every once in a while. I may sell one of the heli's now since I no longer need two...

- Matt

BTW- nice screen name Matt. First time I saw it I thought... huuummm cleaver choice. ;)

-Jeff