Phil

Well Known Member
Howdy All,

I've got a brief favor to ask of someone with a completed RV-10.

I'm adding rudder trim and would like to know what the angle on the trailing edge of the rudder is relative to the ground on a completed -10.

If you've got a digital level/angle finder, can you lay it on your trailing edge and tell me what it shows?

I'm guessing the rivet lines are parallel to the ground, but I'm just not sure.

So as bad as it sounds, I'd like to know which way is up. :D So I can decide on the appropriate angle for the rudder trim pushrod and fairing.

Thanks,
Phil

Well, no digital level, just an old fashioned "bubble stick".

The trailing edge of the stab is vertical, almost. About 1/4 bubble top aft, or less than 1/2" in 4'.

The leading edge of the rudder is same, as best as I can measure. Rudder stiffener rivet line is almost level, just a tad down at the rear.

Both measurements are well within what I would consider the normal range of landing gear flex/squat depending on how it was parked.

Hope this helps.

Rudder stiffener rivet line is almost level, just a tad down at the rear.
Hope this helps.

Sounds like this is the line I need to use. That'll give the fairing just a tad downward angle too, so it's not a rain funnel.

I just built some temp L-brackts that are bent to match the angle made by the trailing edge and the rivet line.

Here's my highly scientific method to find that angle. The red line is perpendicular to the trailing edge and the black line is parallel to the rivet lines in the stiffeners.

DSC_2830.jpg

Then I bent them 90 degrees along the angle-line.

DSC_2832.jpg

I clamped it into position and gave it a test run, but there's too much slop when it rotates.

Obviously, I'm trying to find a creative way to keep the servo parallel to the rivet line and then fairing will follow suite. I'm not a big fan of having the fairing and push rod coming out at different angles. It's just an aesthetics thing I have.

No success yet, but I'm still thinking on it.

Phil