John-G

Well Known Member
I don?t have the space to leave assemblies in place as my build progresses. My first thought was to wrap completed assemblies in pallet wrap to keep them sealed from insects and varmints ? However, I figured that could likely be a very bad idea and possibly lead to condensation getting trapped inside the wrap because here in Ohio, we do have significant temperature swings throughout the year, not to mention humid conditions during summer months ... plus foggy and dewy mornings at other times.

At this point, completed assemblies are being wrapped up in cloth moving blankets and stored on shelves in a garage or in a shed. Assemblies will not be stored on the ground or concrete floor directly, but may be placed on 2X4 wood to keep them off the floors ? neither location is heated.

Am I on track for successful storage or looking for problems by covering the assemblies with the moving blankets?

What methods have other builders found work the best for long-term storage of parts as the build progresses for the conditions mentioned above?

Suggestions appreciated,

John

I'd be a little afraid of mice getting in, using the blankets for nests, and leaving droppings and urine on your parts.

Dave

Hang 'em

John,
I hung mine from the garage ceiling using 2-inch wide nylon webbing "slings" screwed into the rafters for the elevators, ailerons, etc. I did not cover them with anything and just dusted them off later. I built a small rack out of 2 x 4s to hold the horizontal stab., again screwed into the ceiling. Nothing fancy, but up and out of harm's way.

Last edited:
I did exactly as outlined by Ward. I'm happy to say that after four years hanging from the ceiling (with fabric draped over the tops) all the tail feathers were in perfect shape when I took them down for final assembly. Hanging from the ceiling on webbing straps prevents the mice problem someone else pointed to.

I have my emp parts in the attic above my garage. I wrapped them in bed sheets because I am more concerned about wasps and other flying pest, but I also wanted something breathable so that moisture cant get trapped in. I keep my mostly completed right wing in a storage unit, in a wing stand. It just isn't going up the stairs into the attic. I have nothing covering it right now.

John,

I did the same as Ward and Terry. My empennage was suspended by moving straps for over a year and the rest of the tail parts were on a shelf about 8' off the floor. I covered everything with old bed sheets. This keeps the dust off, but does all for air circulation.

I'm in central Ohio, so I'm not too far away from you. I did leave the blue plastic on and had some minor surface corrosion around the edges of the of the plastic. I would recommend taking the plastic off. I think it's easier to deal with a few scratches than with potential corrosion issues.

bob

Thanks

Thanks to all who replied ? based on the replies from everyone and their first hand experience with parts storage, guess I will have to reassess my decision to leave the blue plastic on the parts along with wrapping them in cozy varmint attracting moving blankets.

Old sheets to keep the dust off sounds like the way I'll go. I think I'll still leave the lightening holes stuffed with foam rubber just to insure against unwanted creatures setting up housekeeping inside structures.

John
RV-12
Dues up to date

John,
Definitely get the blue stuff off. I hung them from the garage ceiling with no problems - except for some indications of corrosion under the blue stuff.
John