ddddsp

Well Known Member
Was curious how many of the RV10's that were up for sale had been sold and what the selling price was. Anyone know? Some have been advertised on here from John Stewart's, Jesse's, RV10 in Minnesota, to 325HP. What will the "Market VALUE" be on the RV10?

Dean 40449
Avionics

These planes SOLD for that amount? do you know the N number of these planes? I assume that was in the CA area?

Dean

I believe the MN -10 price was dropped to $259K and was sold soon thereafter, but I don't know how much for. For the package that we offer, $210K-240K is the going rate. Simmons charges $215K for his package. I don't know of any others that have sold or how much for.

is that how much they are expected to cost to finish?
if so there is no chance i can build one. :(

or is this with a rather large mark up?

Cost to Build RV-10

If you go the slow build route, an overhauled engine, do all the work yourself, including painting, and put in a low cost avionics package, I would expect that you could get an RV-10 flying for around $100,000.00.

I went the quick build route, installed a three screen GRT all glass IFR panel, built by SteinAir, overhauled my engine, 3 blade MT prop, and custom interior by Flightline Interiors and expect my final out of pocket expenses to be around $160,000.00.

wow.

i was thinking,
34000 for the kit
18-20000 for the engine
3000 for the avionics
5000 for paint and interior
1000 for tools
total 63000

where does the rest of the cost come from?

or am I severly underestimating the costs?

smenkhare said:
snip...3000 for the avionics...snip
I've seen RV-10 panels that cost $90,000. That's the big variable!

Here's an example of a panel that's most definitely not in the low end of the sprectrum:

tempkd4.jpg

Plus, there's a $7000 c/s prop in there somewhere. A -10 can get pretty up there if you want all the bells and whistles (of course you can do that on any model <g>).

b,
dr

Last edited:
smenkhare said:
wow.

i was thinking,
34000 for the kit
18-20000 for the engine
3000 for the avionics
1000 for tools
total 63000

Unless you get a GREAT deal on an engine and prop, you'll have a very difficult coming in at $20k firewall forward. I probably ended up at $15-$18k for the firewall forward cost on my carbureted 0-320 with a fixed pitch wood prop. Shoot, it would be fairly easy to spend $10k on a constant speed prop, governor, cables, oil cooler, hoses, exhaust, starter, alternator, etc, and that doesn't get you an engine.

$3k for avionics is pretty spare too. A transponder, encoder, and radio with intercom will set you back most of that amount, and then you need to consider engine and flight instruments.

My guess is that it'll be hard to bring in a desirable RV-10 for much under $100k. When I say desirable, I'm thinking a reliable airplane with a nice interior, a nice paint job, and equipped for IFR.

Last edited:
wow.
had no idea firewall forward was that involved. i was just going from lycoming's engine price list.

heh. talk about a brain drain. That 3k for avionics was just for a dynon. I didn't even think about a radio and transponder.

As for IFR, I'm only on my student licence, so i think an IFR panel can wait for now :p

thanks for the replies though

Costs of RV-10

Not to scare anyone off but.

Slow build.....

I think I will end at the 150-160 K..

Engine -- 42K (I am not a good example for engine cost....)
Prop -- 6K
Panel an extras -- $45 - 50K

I am outsourcing the panel (Stein ... please)
oursourced the interior (Flightline....great product)
oursourceing the paint

Rene'
Finishing.....or something like it.

Obviously lots of variables as others have pointed out. Here's a minimal list:

slow build kit: 36k
FWF kit: 5k
Prop: 6k
Engine: 30k (if you're lucky)
Total so far: 77K

To the above you need to add whatever engine and flight instruments you desire - the Dynon D-180 is about $3200 plus probes.

You really do need at least a panel mount comm and transponder these days. There's another couple grand. Finally, there's at least several hundred dollars (probably a couple thousand) for other misc "stuff" like ProSeal, battery, contactors, etc.

Total of above is just north of 80k without lights, interior, paint and extremely sparse panel. It also assumes that you have access to all of the tools already.

My guess is that most RV-10 builders figure they will spend at least $100k-120k for a VFR RV-10.

Bob
RV-10 #40105 (finishing)

Save a little on the prop

"Prop: 6k"

You can get a rebuild prop for the RV 10 for $3500.00.

Kent

The Rocket and the RV-10 are pretty close cost-wise. I think you'd only be able to get a RV-10 done for less than $100K IF you found a heck of a deal on an engine, AND you put in a bare-bones panel (all analog, old radios, etc.)

You can get away with that strategy on a RV-4,6,7,8,9, but probably not a -10. My guess is that you are building a -10 because you want a family cross-county airplane. That means some radios, instruments, and redundancy to do it right.

People tend to forget the cost of interiors, paint, accessories FWF, and electrical stuff. Heck, just spare nuts, bolts, parts, aluminum sheet, etc can add up quickly.

Sure, you could build a cheap RV-10 but who would want to? If you ever tried to sell it, you'd be lucky to get your money back. Like it or not, glitz sells higher and austire takes a special buyer.

Try out the cost estimator on the Van's Aircraft website. It is not exact, but will give you a pretty close idea.

smenkhare said:
1000 for tools
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Just the compressor is $350, minimum and you won't be able to paint it with that. Figure closer to $4 to $10K on tools by the time you are finished.

Van's cost estimator

smenkhare said:
wow.

i was thinking,
34000 for the kit
18-20000 for the engine
3000 for the avionics
1000 for tools
total 63000

Van's Aircraft has a cost estimator tool on their site that is very useful.

panel, engine, paint,...

If you're building a 10- You're gonna want a dual axis autopilot.
AP-4-5k
SL30- 3k
GTX-327-1.5k
PS8000-1.5k
GRT/DYNON basic- 4k
that's JUST the base, no switches, breakers, wires, backup gauges, etc...
there's 15k

The -9 is the 2 person version of Vans XC plane (not the only 'good' XC plane but being non acro...) and while you could go cheap on the panel- Why invest years of ALL your free time to build something that is not mission specific.

Interior- 5k+
Paint-6k+

Engine- a constant speed engine/prop makes a lot of sense on the 10. I'm planning on a fixed pitch for my 9, but I would be hard pressed not to invest the extra $$ for the constant speed on the 10. Therefore the engine may cost you 18-20k but the prop and goodies could add 5-10k.

Just those variables add 35k+ to the price of a 10.

For what it's worth- I would consider the QB, the extra $ is an investment in flying sooner if that is your priority. Even the QB fuse will save many many months of time.

I was seriously interested in building the 10 as the "ideal" plane for me and my wife with the expectation of some bambinos in the future. After studying the costs and benefits- we decided that a 2 seater would be a good start- figure out how to use the tools, materials, understand the process. It would also make a good investment that can be used to leverage buying the 10; if and when we are ready to step up. I expect we will have 60k (potentially + 20%) invested in the 9 with 2-3 years (hopefully less than 3 years) of my time building the plane. The market is showing 9's selling between 80-100k with the odd plane higher or lower. Not a super duper return on investment, but certainly puts me a lot closer to paying for a 10 in the future. Plus I expect the 2nd plane will be quicker and better built than the 1st.

As I invest more and more time in the building process, I realize a few thousand here and there for exactly what I want in the plane is more than worth it in the long run because of the time investment I have in it. Unlike spam cans, where you get in and fly away- there is a real emotional attachment to the bits and pieces you put together that end up as a flying machine.

I also feel that spending the money upfront to put the instruments you want in the plane makes more sense that "adding" them later when you are more solvent. One- it always takes more time and ends up costing more money than if you did it in the beginning. Two- new gadgets come out all the time and never seem to get any cheaper. Three- the build process takes SOOO long anyhow, start planning and saving now. Four- you rarely have extra cash lying around that couldn't be put to better use.

Flying is certainly not a poor mans hobby- old cessnas and (maybe) RV3, and RV4's can be bought/built on the skinny- but certainly not the 10. You can get a used cessna 172 for a WHOLE lot cheaper. Not the same performance, I know, but a lot cheaper investment if that is your priority.

I felt the same about the 9 budget when I started. Now- fuggitaboutit; I WANT that dual GRT, SL30, PS8000b, TRUTRAK ADI II, comfortable seats for XC, nice paint, 3 blade catto FP prop...

Cost Over runs

Well I am afraid my 10 is going to cost a lot more than I thought.I just got a bill from oregon aero for 37,450 $ for my seats!!!!!!!!!