G3i Ignition

Well Known Member
The past few months Russ and I have been working on a bolt on Supercharger kit that will be available very soon. No engine machine necessary (Bolt On). We have taken orders already! The compressor is the 6th Generation high helix 4-lobe rotor. The kit will provide the necessary components to mount and drive the supercharger. Less fuel system modification for upper deck reference, which will be made available with a kit purchase. At the moment Russ is putting time on his Supercharged 7 and we are also finishing up the CNC details to make this kit outstanding. Kits will be starting @ 11.5K and more details will be available through G3i shortly. A few preview pics of Russ?s Hot-Rod SC-RV7.
img0049jc.jpg

By sc_acro2 at 2011-02-12
img0083ln.jpg

img0052ed.jpg

Suuuper Charged !!

Beautiful in its simplicity ! What does the installation weight and is it necessary to modify the cowling ? :)

Failure mode & CG

How far is the engine moved forward? Looks like its at least 8-10" to me.

I would like to see some CG numbers. Also, driving the supercharger through the alternator and two belts causes me some concern regarding failure modes.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Beautiful work.

What happens when the drive belt fails? Does the engine keep running? If so, what is the max available power output?

I don't think moving the engine forward had anything to do with adding the supercharger.

But............ I could be wrong...... again

Super Charger

When Russ originally built his 7 aspirated he mounted the engine forward, he likes that stretch look. The supercharger install does not require moving the engine. Some cowls from what we measured on other RV?s possibly will need a slight tier drop bump below, Which we are designing & molding
Driving the compressor through the modified alternator has a larger support and bearing incorporated for the drive system. Which eliminates a long drive nose hanging low and protruding forward. If the drive system or compressor was to fail, there is an internal by-pass that serves 2 functions. Boost control and alternate air source. With the alternate/by-pass open the engine will produce over 95% of it?s aspirated power. The compressor is of the Eaton design, which has been used on the Ford and other applications with great reliability and results. The compressor shown weighs 29.7lbs and we finish with the rest of the CNC work I will have exact component weights. Shooting for under 40lbs complete, which does include the alternator & set-up.

Let's talk RV-10's now

I talked to Russ briefly about the possibility of adding a super charger to the 10
last fall at the Badlands fly in. Is their something in the works for the 10? I need more power!
Don Orrick
N410JA:D

I really like that set up

When you can post more please do. I have a horizontal induction Superior cold air sump IO360. Can't tell from this how it would adapt or what I have to change. I will be watching with great interest. Thanks for the peek.

When Russ originally built his 7 aspirated he mounted the engine forward, he likes that stretch look. The supercharger install does not require moving the engine. Some cowls from what we measured on other RV?s possibly will need a slight tier drop bump below, Which we are designing & molding
Driving the compressor through the modified alternator has a larger support and bearing incorporated for the drive system. Which eliminates a long drive nose hanging low and protruding forward. If the drive system or compressor was to fail, there is an internal by-pass that serves 2 functions. Boost control and alternate air source. With the alternate/by-pass open the engine will produce over 95% of it?s aspirated power. The compressor is of the Eaton design, which has been used on the Ford and other applications with great reliability and results. The compressor shown weighs 29.7lbs and we finish with the rest of the CNC work I will have exact component weights. Shooting for under 40lbs complete, which does include the alternator & set-up.

There are garbage characters in your url link signature. Just delete everything after the .com...

Bob

I think that this is pretty cool, but I have to say I don't get warm fuzzies about the way the adapter plate ties the supercharger case to the alternator bracket.

At issue is that airplane engines tend to be made of pretty thin-wall castings in relation to the forces developed within them, and they flex a bunch more than you might expect. As a result, funny things tend to happen when you connect the different parts together with rigid structural members in ways that change the way the parts normally move around. Stuff that works great on big beefy cast iron car engines will sometimes get you in trouble on an airplane engine.

Which is to say, I think that this arrangement is going to work just fine in the short term, but in the long run I'd worry about cracking in that adapter plate, especially in areas near where it is welded. Or maybe in the supercharger case itself, or in the attachment of the supercharger to the sump.

My own inclination would be try to engineer out the adapter plate, and use an off-the-shelf spring-loaded serpentine belt tensioner (there are lots of different ones at NAPA) anchored either at the alternator bracket, or at the supercharger shaft support, but not both.

My specific recommendation would be get someone like John Schwaner of Sacramento Sky Ranch to look over the system. He has demonstrated a very good understanding of the sometimes counterintuitive dynamics at play inside the Lycoming engine. If he says I'm full of it, you can take that to the bank.

Thanks, and best regards

Bob K.

SC- Kit

Fuzzies are bad in a paint booth! Just getting ready to do some painting and couldn’t resist
As earlier, just a sneak preview. The blower set-up is in service and the hardware is being drawn up in cad for machining.
The adapter plate and alternator plate and mounting ears are going to be CNC’d out of billet (no welds). There is also another billet bracket/support on the rear of the sump that secures case/sump bolts. Spring type tensioners are great if you have the real estate to mount them and providing it has the proper characteristics that are required. Believe me I have looked into it heavily. Just haven’t found the one to my liking. If these were Kevlar/carbon fiber belts with no stretch properties, it would be a must. I have personally run the mechanical tension on my supercharged I0-540-C4B5 for over 250hrs and haven’t had any issues. When I designed the first application in early 2000, I consulted with many engineers and engine case repair farcicalities to address any unknown issues. Example, physical composition properties and percentages, internal dynamics, crankshaft loading, engine case expansion as well as sump. I have it covered , I will say that John is a good resource for information.

Last edited: