AviatorJ

Well Known Member
If all goes as planned tonight then I will finish my VS. Two questions; it has some light scratches and finger prints all over it. The construction manual suggests running some 600 grit wet sandpaper over it to get the scratches out, which I assume would clean it off a bit. Is this the suggested method or should I use a damp cloth to wipe it off... leave the scratches since in about 5 years when I'm done it will get blasted and painted anyhow?

For storage I was going to wrap it in some paper to protect it and put it on the shelve... concern if it gets moisture on the paper it might promote corrosion... best to just put it on a shelve as is and try my best not to hit it with anything?

Thanks!

Congratulations

Congratulations.
I would leave it as in no sanding. Maybe wipe off the fingerprints (oils) with a solvent and put it in a safe place. I hung my parts from the ceiling. YMMV

I left most of the blue film on and wrapped the parts in bubble wrap before storing them in the garage rafters.

I can get away with leaving the blue film on because Boulder has a relatively arid climate.

Dave

Hung mine too . . .

Congratulations.
I would leave it as in no sanding. Maybe wipe off the fingerprints (oils) with a solvent and put it in a safe place. I hung my parts from the ceiling. YMMV

I tried sitting them around and it always seemed to be wanting to be bumped with something else, so I hung them so they could easily be taken down. I can not claim some super logical argument in favor but it has seemed to work, Up, out of the way and no way to be knocked off. Also, easier than building more shelving. (cheap, lazy me)

Wipe off the fingerprints with some acetone if you like.
Hanging the parts is the safest. Much less likely for them to get damaged that way.

An alternative exists

For those with an EXTREMELY understanding spouse:D

DSC_4512.jpg

Last edited: