NYTOM

Well Known Member
Would I be foolish to run my standard high voltage shielded Whelen wingtip strobe cable in the same 3/4 plastic tube with a Teflon 5 wire cable for my Ray Allen trim servo? :confused: And in the other wing I am considering doing the same with a 3 wire cable for my tip mounted autopilot servo. Been reading scary stories here about RF leaks powering LED's and screwing up radios and generally screwing up some very expensive equipment..:eek: Do you think the high voltage bursts for the strobe would induce any changes to the trim or auto pilot? The tube is the black ribbed stuff Van included with my kit and the trim system is one of those very early tip tab setups. I'm thinking if its going to cause a problem I can abandon the strobe power supply in the fuselage and instead put small local power supplies in the wing-tips. What are you guys doing and how has it worked for you? :) I only want to do this once if possible.:eek:

115 views and nothing

Wow, 115 views and nobody has an answer to my question. :rolleyes: Very unusual for this forum. I must really be treading in a dark unknown area here.:eek:

Wiring

In my opinion there will be no problem. Many of us have done it that way.

If it makes you nervous to have the together then running separate conduit isn't that big of a deal (if your wings are still open). The chances of having a problem (if you're using shielded wire) is remote however...I guess you just have to decide on your own reputation for being unlucky?

I would not do it if you have the choice. Once the strobe wires get to the fuselage, I run them separate from all the other wire bundles just because it won't hurt to do it that way, and these are known RF emitters. Chances are that if the grounds are wired properly, there won't be a problem but why take the chance? I am really careful with my AP wire bundles as well. Not only do I keep them away from the strobe wires, but I also keep them away from long runs of power wires. That's one of the reasons I use Red wire for power, and Black wire for grounds, so they can be grouped together and kept away from signal wires.

There are times when these wires are all in close proximity with one another and that's both okay, and probably unavoidable. With a little forethought, it is possible to keep the wires in groups by themselves to greatly improve your chances of having a quiet and trouble-free wiring system.

Request

And then, for those of us who dont read that forum, please relay the answer here.

Thanks.