E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Since I'm not building yet, this request for info is premature and I think about my 'eventual' RV-12 a lot while I'm working on my house, etc. So, I'm wondering about the advisability of incorporating a compass into my 12 after certification as E-LSA.

Have any of you who are flying added a compass into your 12? Is it useful to you? I'm thinking that if all of the electronics went bad during flight, I'd still have a compass as a useful instrument for basic navigation. Your thoughts please. Which compass are you using? Thanks.

I have several laying on the shelf, but am not planning on installing one. With the backups I have I feel I don't need it (Smart phone, IPad, handheld radio with VOR, etc)
I will just fly until the sun starts to set, and that way is West!:D

42C-11b.JPG

I know some RVers who bought their compasses in the aviation department at Walmart. With today's electronics, N-S-E-W is more than you need from a whiskey compass.

Remember that "lead and lag" business? I never could see the usefulness of that when all I wanted to do was follow that river or railroad I could see down there.

Re following water, and the usefulness or not of looking at the compass.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_0e389231-f179-567b-b6fa-3275b93e7293.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyZqTQZqJGU

The young lady apparently, at the turning point, followed the river upstream on a track of approx SW, instead of her "planned" track of NNE along the same river downstream.
Still availability or not of a separate compass wasn't likely to be the cause of her misadventure. Situational Awareness can be difficult to teach.

Last edited:
i am an about to be rv-12 builder flying my dakota hawk i built.fwiw i put in a certified vertical card compass and using the display like a d.g. is great. i was using heading vs. bearing on my gps and of course that works but i just like using a display like a d.g. i know there are compass rose displays in my gps but i would pay the $300 again for the vert. card compass. i also like the piece of mind that i have a compass on board.
i looked and looked but no one makes a 2'' display like a d.g. driven my gps i think that would have been nice.
bob noffs
n. wi.