flyboy1963

Well Known Member
help!
searched numerous forums, TONS of lengthy articles on how to calculate correction A + B/2 etc....
but HOW do you do it???????????????????
Obviously you line up the plane etc.
Where the heck is the 'North' adjusting screw???
My 'van's' compass has 4 screws that just look like they hold the case together, do I start cranking on those? or are they hidden somewhere.
how many turns can you do before they are going to fall out, or wreck something inside?
roughly what result can i expect trying to run the engine at cruise power on the ground, with the resulting vibration jiggling the compass all over the place etc.
interesting that some guys have flown around the world with one!
( I don't think I'll try that !:)

Do you have an EAA or tech counselor ...

...to show you how?

Even if someone answered all your questions to the nth degree it would still be better if an experienced person was there to help you do it right who's done it before right themselves. another set of eyes and and hands to help jostle the plane around the compass rose is nice.

Last edited:
Not sure which compass you have. Typically there are 2 adjusting screws under a cover plate. One is N-S and the other is E-W. Align with north and "zero" with the N-S screw. Align with east and "zero" with the E-W screw. Align with south and take out 1/2 the correction with the N-S screw. Align with west and take out 1/2 the correction. Repeat the procedure at least once.
Like Lucky says, you should get assistance from someone who has done it before.

swingin'

thanks guys, will take a close look at the compass ( Falcon?) and dig up the builder and/ or a manual to assist.

thanks for the help

Not sure which compass you have. Typically there are 2 adjusting screws under a cover plate. One is N-S and the other is E-W. Align with north and "zero" with the N-S screw. Align with east and "zero" with the E-W screw. Align with south and take out 1/2 the correction with the N-S screw. Align with west and take out 1/2 the correction. Repeat the procedure at least once.
Like Lucky says, you should get assistance from someone who has done it before.

mel, thanks for your info. set the compass as you stated and it is much improved. i use a brass fueler gauge. you da man. thanks turbo

Last edited: