Robert Anglin

Well Known Member
This should not be that for off topic for this forum. We are thinking about moving our card compass off the top of the instrument glair shield and down to the panel. The idea would be to make a small box and mount the auto-pilot control panel on top. ( G3X- #305). Has any one tried this and had good luck with getting the compass trimmed back out once you moved it.
I know there may be a question. Why the compass. It is required if you cross the border and it feels good to have a back-up.. Thanks for your thoughts on this. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

Hello Robert.
Just a heads up. I put a compass in my 8 last year.It worked great up on the center of the glare shield. So I panel mounted it where it seemed to work well until i closed the canopy. Then it swung off and took considerable swinging to get it back to being close. So check your location carefully.

Use plexiglass to verify

I just finished checking out my new compass location. I made my panel out of plexiglass to try out the location before cutting the real panel. I found that it worked great in the new location. I did try it in that location when I still had the old panel in and found that it would not work there when the Aera 510 was mounted where it was.

IMG_00330.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.

Thanks, guys. Judging by the number of replies not many have done this.
Bobby your panel is basically what we will have, but with a touch G3X and a remote transponder. I think the thing to do here is give it a shot and see what happens. You are very correct, we do need to make a plastic panel to check it out, first. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

I put mine in the panel. Best I could do swinging it was perfect east-west but off by 10 degrees north-south. But who cares? With two electronic compasses and three gps units in the plane, I never look at it. But if I did, there is a correction card below it.