Beagle1

Hey guys,

I'm flying an RV9A slider. All of a sudden the center support bar on the roll bar to instr. panel is causing the compass which is near it to read erratic (I've tried two different compases).

This is after 2 yeard of not having a problem. Can the center bar suddenly become magnetized? What should I do to fix it?

My 496 caused it.....

......to become de-magnetized to where it wouldn't turn but 10 degrees or so. It was a vertical card compass and someone on here said that the 296/396/496 GPS's will do that.

Regards,

I do have the 496 fairly close to the compass. Never considered it a suspect! I'll try moving things around or turning it off to see what happens.

Thanks,
Eddy

Eddy,
Also, if you have one of those Battery-free Flashlights (shaker type) that's advertised in Sporty's in your cockpit, it'll really mess up your compass. Very strong magnet in those things.

Bill McLean
RV-4

I do have the 496 fairly close to the compass. Never considered it a suspect! I'll try moving things around or turning it off to see what happens.

Thanks,
Eddy

Also - the XM radio antenna has a magnet in it (at least it used to - I heard it is removed from recent 496s)