Flyyak

Well Known Member
Friend
I am about to start the panel for a 7. It would be very helpful if you have done a comparison of the different EFIS systems for ease of use, ease of installation, cost/value, reliability. I was thinking of a Dynon 10" Skyview with a garmin 430.

I purchased a project which came with a TruTrak digitrak single axis auto pilot servo already installed in the wing but I plan to add or use full auto pilot. It also came with new AvMap EKP IV portable GPS which I may use as a back up and I may add Ilevel adhrs which connects via blue tooth to Ipad as second back up EFIS.

So far, I haven't had any interest in purchase of digitrak or AvMap, hence the reason to use as backup rather than give them away.

The knowledgable resource will be someone that has actual experience installing the full range of EFISes (EFI?? :)).

Since they are all good, you won't find many builders with multi EFIS install experience.

Talk to SteinAir

EFI

I'll be first to jump in with a very biased opinion: AFS.

Amazing compact capability in my -8A. Superb customer service. Straight forward installation and calibration - if you take the time to read the manual!

The knowledgable resource will be someone that has actual experience installing the full range of EFISes (EFI?? :)).

Since they are all good, you won't find many builders with multi EFIS install experience.

Talk to SteinAir

Well, you found the EFIS forum....this question gets asked about once a week, and there are hundreds (at least) of threads stored here in the archives that discuss this very topic. Settle in with a good cup of whatever you like to drink, and start reading.....there is a lot to learn! Kitplanes Magazine has at least on earticle on the EFIS choices from last year (written by Stein) - another good resource.

You can't really go "wrong" with any of the major brands these days - I fly them all, and have ones that work better with my brain than others - you may be wired differently, so you might want to get in front of the choices and try them to avoid buyer's remorse later.

A true EFIS is a major purchase - expect to spend quite a few hours in the research and selection process. Enjoy it!

Paul

Neil,

None of us can assist you with out knowing your mission and requirements.

Most folks will respond with much emotion to support the brand of EFIS that they purchased.

Most all of the popular EFIS vendors are all great for VFR missions. They start to vary in features and functions for IFR. There is no one size fits all.

There are two approaches that I would recommend. Find folks that have the EFIS that you are looking to compare locally. Ask them why they made the decision that they made and perhaps take a flight to see how the EFIS works for yourself.

When I was making the decision for my RV-10, I took an informal poll at Camp Scholler a few years ago. I asked every builder I ran into why they purchased the EFIS they did. One vendor was greatly prefered over the others. When I started to dig deeper it ended that folks like the graphic presentation better. When I asked about the button sequence to understand the work flow in a single pilot IFR scenario, almost none had a clue even though many of them were indeed IFR rated. The point I'm making is that EFIS selection tends to be a very emotional decision and sometimes greatly influenced by marketing hype and peer pressure.

The other approach is to get a dealer involved like SteinAir or Aerotronics. I'm sure that there are other reputable dealers out there too, but these are two that I have first hand knowledge. However, be prepared in that the first question you are going to be asked is what is your mission and what are your requirements.

For example:
  • IFR/VFR?
  • Is Hardware redundacy required?
  • Internal or external auto pilot?
  • Do features need to be available now or are you willing to bet on them being delivered in the future?
  • Features like SV, HITS, ADSB, Moving Maps, Approach Plates, Sectionals
  • Does the EM support your engine?
  • How flat is the menu tree? i.e. How quickly can you get to what you want with minimal button pushes?
  • Do you want/need VP/X integration?
  • How expensive are the map/data updates?
This is just a partial listing. Paul Dye has written some excellant articles in the past that talk about defining your mission requirements and how to define your requirements to support that mission. Which in turn will help you decide what features/functions you'll need in your avionics.

I have first hand knowledge of support from both AFS and GRT. Both have provided outstanding support. I've installed three AFS screens and one Trutak Gemini (need a tie breaker for IFR) in my RV-10. It was the best choice for my mission and situation at the time. It may or may not be the best choice for you. Only you can make that decision.

bob

Thanks for the info. Each of you are absolutely correct about mission profile. I will settle in to read the archives and speak to vendors. The first time I was single pilot hard IFR at night (young and stupid), the controller ask my intentions. I responded that I would like to remain IFR (for handling) but fly VFR. He chuckled and gave me vectors for an ILS