rightrudder

Well Known Member
I started fitting the control sticks last night, and it looks like I have to remove some triangular pieces of the center-section ribs for clearance of the cross bar that bolts to the aileron pushrods. I roughed it out with a Unibit and Dremel, but now I need to do some finish grinding in a relatively tight space.

What are you guys using for this application? Dremel 90-degree fitting? Some other tool? It needs to be fairly compact to do the job.

It's funny how we all can obsess about the finish in areas that will rarely be seen!

Thanks, Mike. I need one of those! On my smaller conventional Dremel I have good luck with sanding drums, as the grinding stones get quickly coated with aluminum and lose their bite. They probably offer such an accessory for the die grinder.

+10 for right angle and rolocs. :)

Another handy bit to fit into the grinder is small 3M scotchbrite cylinders. It is made out of the same stuff as your 6" scotchbrite wheel.

Look on this page for 1" and 2" "polishing wheel". Don't forget the mandrels.
http://www.averytools.com/products.asp?dept=11

Last edited:
Most appreciated, Bill. I want to try to get something tonight at Home Depot, but I've also purchased a lot of tools through Avery. Scotchbrite stuff is wonderful, but for this application, I'll use some fine-grit sandpaper to finish.

A 90 degree air die grinder will do everything that most builders use a bench grinder for. Bench grinders are for sharpening lawn mower blades. You can use the blue scotch brite wheels to radius and smooth the edges of parts, or you can use a red disc or a sanding disc to quickly remove material while fabbing and shaping new parts. A die grinder with a cutting disc works better than a bandsaw in most aircraft building applications as well. Enjoy your new tool, I know I couldn't make it without one.