APACHE 56

Well Known Member
Last week I was issued my Phase I/II limitations. Since I'm up against the Atlantic Ocean here in Cape Canveral and I have an experimental engine I was stressed over the "25 mile" limit. My DAR a retired FAA inspector and his boss from the Orlando FSDO came up with a common sense, good idea. They gave me a 25 mile limit for the first 10 hours and 100 mile limit thereafter. Needless to say I was very pleased and impressed with that solution. Sometimes "one size does not fit all."

Don

Glad to hear you got a reasonable flight test area.

Actually we have quite a bit of freedom in this area as long as we keep it reasonable.

Obviously a 200 mph RV needs a different test area than a 75 mph Cub.

Most all DARs I know are very reasonable in this respect.

We know that you have to fly straight and level sometimes.
You can't just fly in circles for 40 hrs.

When I read "common sense" and "FAA" together, I had to read the thread! :D

I had a similar experience. My DAR gave me the standard 25-mile radius for Phase I testing but, having read here on VAF that others had been successful in pleading for a larger area, my DAR went back to his FSDO and requested a 25 x 100-mile corridor, wherever I wanted it.

That worked out really well for giving me plenty of room to do testing, and I located the corridor over a bunch of other airports, which gave me lots of emergency landing fields, just in case.

Sometimes, all you have to do is ask.

FAA

My inspector came from the Orlando FSDO. He was a super nice fellow and the inspection was free. He gave me an odd shaped Phase I area because of the location of airports with fuel in my area. He was very easy to work with.