scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
OK,
Here's the excerpt from AC 20-27(G) that I keep eyeballing:

?Purchasing Prefabricated or Assembled Components and Materials. (1) To meet the intent of ? 21.191(g) and to be eligible for an amateur-built experimental airworthiness certificate, you need to present satisfactory evidence to show that the aircraft was not fabricated and assembled from completely prefabricated parts or kits. However, the FAA does not expect you to fabricate every part that makes up the aircraft. Items such as engines and engine accessories, propellers, landing gear, rotor blades, rotor hubs, tires, wheel and brake assemblies, instruments, and standard aircraft hardware (such as pulleys, bell cranks, rod ends, bearings, bolts, and rivets) are acceptable and may be procured on the open market.?

I got commercial assistance for three things:
- I had my panel professionally built and wired. However, I installed the panel and ran all the wiring from the panel outward.
- I bonded the wheel fairings to the intersection fairings and tried to sand them down nicely, but failed. I then hired Grady's folks to finish the sanding work so they'll look nice.
- Similarly, I built up/fit/trimmed the cowling halves, but failed at the composite surface finishing. I hired a local paint/body guy to finish the sanding and make it look right.

If I read the AC correctly, I believe these fall under the exemption, meaning I DO NOT have to run the entire Amateur Built Fabrication and Assembly Checklist.

Am I correct? Mel? Anyone? :confused:

When I went through the process, FSDO had me list all the commercial work performed. In my case, it was primarily just final finish sanding and paint. There was no conversation at all about the 51% rule not being met, he just wanted the commercial assistance documented.

If my memory serves me correctly, none of the three items you listed, are specifically on the list of tasks that Van's defined for the 51% rule. Like Paul and Mel stated, you're good to go.