RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Hello Gang,
I'm getting ready to install my comm (a bent whip) and transponder antennas. Does anyone have any good ideas for mounting locations? I have seen them mounted behind each of the footwells. This doesn't quite get me the 3 ft the installation manuals recommend for separation. Anyone have any good phots and/or measurements?

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry,
If you have close to 3 feet, that should be fine. Rule of thumb; add the length of the 2 antennas and make that the minimum distance between them and you should be ok.
Mel...DAR

Antenna Placement

Jerry, on my -6 I placed both comm and txp behind the main spar, with txp being in the last outboard rib bay on the right side, and comm in the rib bay just to the right of centerline of the aircraft. The comm is a 45 degree whip, and txp is the cheapie $20 version that everyone seems to use. I've had excellent performance all around from both, as far as I can tell, and no indication from either ATC or other pilots of any problems.

Mel's rule is probably a safe rule of thumb, but at least in my case I have had no problems with them located closer together.

Antenna placement

Jerry:

My -8 has a bent whip (Comant) for the comm and blade for the TXP (Dorne-Margolin). They are mounted just forward of the footwells so there's easy access when you remove the forwardmost floor panel. (The plugs are just aft of the aileron tubes.) It's not quite three feet and I worried about the same thing, but I've had no problem whatsoever with reception or transmit clarity.

Chris

Hey Guys,
Thanks for your replies. I installed my antennas last night. Looks good; we'll see how it works out.

Thanks,
Jerry