uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Trying to figure out how to resolve an issue with my comm system that I think may be a setup problem. Basically the system is working fine (SL-30, PS 3000 intercom, Bose headset) but at high RPM settings the feedback of my own transmissions in my headset is extremely loud and has a lot of static type noise. Reception from others is fine with no problems and at lower power settings <2200 rpm the system is fine. I think it is due to the noisy environment in the RV and may even be a combination of the Bose ANR, the PS 3000 intercom and the SL-30 and I plan to try a different headset today (Zulu) to see if that changes things.
There are a number of parameters that can be set in the SL-30 and I wondered if one of these could be the answer.
Appreciate feedback from anyone with a similar setup

Dave
I had the same issues with SL30/40's.
I can't remember what did the trick on the SL30, but try MIC gain or sidetone level.
Mess around with the settings and you'll be suprised how much quieter it is to talk on the radio as opposed to talking to your passenger over a VOX intercom.

Regards

Sidetone level is the adjustment

Read your manual about setting the sidetone level. That is how loud you sound on your intercom when you transmit. The fixed settings are 0 to 100, and there is a variable setting using the front panel volume control.

Stopping noise before it reaches the mic

Try a MicMuff from Oregon Aero. I added one to my headset and it's a totally different experience. My problems speaking to controllers and noise in the headset went away. The VOX on the intercom now operates like it should. The MicMuff works by reducing the high noise levels before going into the microphone. It's only $14 plus shipping. I'm using a Quiet Technologies Halo Headset.

Inputs helped

I might try the muff as suggested, my experience today helped the situation as I turned the sidetone down as suggested (setting of 10 out of 100), also lowered the squelch on Mic 1. The other thing I noticed is that when I turn my head left and expose the mouth side of the mike to the interior I get white noise from the intercom presumably because the ambient noise triggered the noise gate in the intercom, the PS 3000 squelch is set quite high as a result to eliminate this.
After tweaking the various settings the system as a whole is now working reasonably well. The nice thing about the SL-30 settings is that they are real time so you can hear the result as you tune the particular parameter.
Thanks for the inputs