AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

I am having the following problem here in Chile to fly my RV-8. New Chilean regulations said that a Comercial Pilot could fly a m?ximum of 8 hour a day, 34 a week, 100 every month, 270 every 3 month and 1000 every year. Last regulations said those limits are for Flight for money compensation, but new regulations include all Flight, so I am in a big problem trying to find available time to Fly my RV-8 and not having problems with the company that I work for or DGAC (Chilean FAA).
Could you please let me know how do you do Comercial Pilot in USA to get available time to fly for pleasure or do you have different regulations.
DGAC always try to copy FAA regulations so if you have a way to do this different maybe I may change things here.

Happy flying and building for you mates,

Different Regulations

The regs here limit you to flight time that you are doing "commercial flying". If you are not being compensated, you can fly as much as you want.

My airline even allows outside commercial flying on a case by case basis, as long as you don't exceed FAR's (30 hours in 7 days, 100 hours a month, 1000 hours a year). That is Part 121 flying, Part 135 allows even more.

The (US) FAA rules

The US FAA rules regarding flight time limitations cover "flying for compensation or hire." Flying your own airplane for pleasure wouldn't count, and you can't fly an experimental aircraft for "compensation or hire" legally anyway.

Here is the ALPA interpretation of the (US) flight time limitations. Caution: Long Read! http://cf.alpa.org/internet/projects/ftdt/backgr/ftdtguide.html#1

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Here in Chile was the same than USA one year ago but they changed regulation and now say "1000 hours in a year including Comercial, Private and Sport Flying":(

Everything is so dificult here in my country:confused:

UK rules are flying in aircraft MTOW 1600kg and not for aerial work / publc transport does not count for FTLs...

Here in Chile was the same than USA one year ago but they changed regulation and now say "1000 hours in a year including Comercial, Private and Sport Flying":(

Everything is so dificult here in my country:confused:

Seems to me you have 3,000 hours total then. ;)

Commercial = 1,000
Private = 1,000
Sport = 1,000
Total = 3,000

;)

The US FAA rules regarding flight time limitations cover "flying for compensation or hire." Flying your own airplane for pleasure wouldn't count, and you can't fly an experimental aircraft for "compensation or hire" legally anyway.

Just a quick correction John, you cannot carry passengers or cargo for compensation or hire in an experimental. You can fly an experimental for compensation or hire (an airshow performance, for example) as long as there are no passengers or cargo involved.

Pat

Just a quick correction John, you cannot carry passengers or cargo for compensation or hire in an experimental. You can fly an experimental for compensation or hire (an airshow performance, for example) as long as there are no passengers or cargo involved.

Pat

True, but in the context of the question posed by Fernando, I doubt that he is going to be doing airshows during his initial test flying.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Can you just not log the hours? In the US we don't need to log hours unless it is for documenting currency or experience for a rating (and possible commercial flying).

Can you just not log the hours? In the US we don't need to log hours unless it is for documenting currency or experience for a rating (and possible commercial flying).

Big deal is that I need to log the first 40 hours to get out of phase one, my RV-8 has about 25 hour but I cannot log them. Probably I will be able to log 2 or 3 hour a month, so I will need a year for phase one.
I need to probe Chilean FAA that flying for fun is different from flying for work and is important to show them what FAA think about it.

Big deal is that I need to log the first 40 hours to get out of phase one, my RV-8 has about 25 hour but I cannot log them. Probably I will be able to log 2 or 3 hour a month, so I will need a year for phase one.
I need to probe Chilean FAA that flying for fun is different from flying for work and is important to show them what FAA think about it.

Sounds like you need a short term solution. I can't imagine any government agency being quick to change a rule.
Do you have someone to fly the "legal" phase one for you? Then you can take your time doing any other test flying you want without logging the time. Or use some vacation time.

Let me know if you want me to come down there and fly that phase 1 for you. :D