videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
I've been working on this off and on since I flew off the "40" back in June. I built a pre-production prototype which I used at Oshkosh. Most of the bugs are worked out, at least on the control lock. The production prototype is really slick (and their welding looked a lot better than mine.) Some details:

100% 4130 aircraft steel
Must be fit to your airplane (requires you to drill a hole in the lock, not the plane)
Weights less than one pound (probably 1 1/2 lb with tow bar)
Is installed/removed from inside the plane
Locks rudder, ailerons and elevator
Goes on/off in seconds
Safer than something you can't see (hey, if you can get to the runway with a locked rudder, I guess you COULD take off with it!)
Breaks down to 21" long
May be developed into an actual keyed lock if there is interest
Built by the same folks that welded all those steel parts in your airplane!
Not outsourced to China

Bad points:

Still have some work to do on the tow bar
Will be more expensive than some

It is looking like something in the $140-170 range, including tow bar attach fittings, although the control lock or tow bar will be available separately. Haven't decided whether or not to have it powder coated (Van's off white) or just sold bare. Also, should we provide a carrying case? Personally, I wouldn't want a case, and I painted the first model with a spray can. I plan on selling a few below retail (whatever that will be) to get some feedback. Let me know if you are interested and what options it should include.

Photos will be along when the tow bar is done and everything is painted. Hope to have these ready to go in a few weeks.

Bob Kelly

(Why didn't I think of that)

Nose dragger, at least for the tow bar part. CL works on anything.

Bob