miyu1975

Well Known Member
Combined hobbies, flying, camping, triathlon

My wife and I had a great trip to Lake Placid, NY. Goal was to volunteer at the Ironman event on Sunday and register to race for next year. Mission accomplished. I was able to snap a few photos. What a great way to combine our hobbies into a weekend trip. The RV made it possible, and turned a 14 hour drive into a 4 hour flight.

A big thanks to the Phil and the Lake Placid Airport. We camped at the end of the runway.

Loaded up and ready for flight.

IMG_2492.JPG

My wife was so excited that she fell asleep on the way to LP.

IMG_0370.JPG

My extra safety screw on my oil door rattled out with about the 30 minutes to go. With no where else to land at this point I slowed down a little and continued into LP. Phil was nice enough to find me a replacement the next day.

IMG_0371.JPG

Our campsite for a few days.. Great location at the end of the runway right next to the woods and a lean-to. Down in the woods is an out house too.

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

View from the campsite..

IMG_0373.JPG

Great looking landscapes.

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

Last edited:
Lake Placid is a great destination any season. I did't know they allow camping by the runway. Thank for sharing Ryan!

Thanks for the trip report Ryan. I'm headed out that way in a couple of weeks to go to Maine with my son.

ryan, i was there earlier in the day. phil thought i was you when i reported in as an rv. phil recognized me and took me me under his wing for the rest of the day. a great guy and early rv builder for low cost. this is a must visit place for your rv list. yes there is even a swimming hole below the camp site!:p i got to meet phils daughters and had lunch at a water front restaurant which hangs over the lake. the town has a great european feel. my approach was from the se which had me negotiating some ominous mountains. maneuvering speed was a good thing. :( ill be back to LP again.
8B5CB415-D0C1-45C0-B401-AEB16C605EB0.jpg

89A316AD-5555-4F87-ADD8-853D8F977340.jpg

our lunch spot.
804856A7-4407-41DF-8E0C-46024950F53E.jpg

A swimming hole? It looks like a perfect spot to visit before going to Tim-n-Fred's :D
Are you coming Turbo on Aug the 2nd?