RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I have two CI-122 VHF and a CI-105 Xpder antennas. I bought them back in the spring but did not open them. I did today to find no paperwork with installations instructions, specifics on distances apart etc. There is not hard ware either, just the antenna and the gasket, no backing plate nut or screws. Should I have mounting hardware and backing plates in these boxes? As for the instructions I am all for saving paper but a note with a web address to the information would be great. I tried www.COMANT.com but it redirect to a Chelton website and I can't seem to find a downloads section for antennas. I might be a little web challenged. With Google I did find a file for General Instructions for COMANT antennas but no specific instructions for individual models.

this is the exact reason i went with rami antennas

irritating that comant appears to be resting on reputation... from all accounts the rami units are equal, cost less, come with backing plates, have drawings, and a working website.

They don't include hardware because they have no idea what your application will be. I installed my top antenna per the advisory circular with a doubler under the skin, nutplates, and screws of proper length for my installation.

I don't recall getting instructions with my antennae either, but I don't think a backing plate is enough in most cases IMHO.

Do yourself a big favor up front and ditch the gasket and go metal to metal. Your radio will love you for it! :D

I've been looking for a template for these holes too... Can't seem to find one anywhere.

I've pretty much decided that I need to go ahead and buy myself an antenna at this point. Gonna need it anyway. :p

Can you please elaborate? How did you arrive at that determination?

Assuming that the 7's forward floor pan is as thick as my 6's, then no additional antenna support is required. I have the transponder antenna (the model that looks like a shark fin) mounted on the forward pan, and two comm antennas under the seats with backup plates.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Another reason for a backing plate.

You may not need a backing plate but I found them to be especially useful for the mounting of the comm antennas.

I made the backing plates, riveted nutplates to the backing plate and then prosealed the backing plates in place. This makes it easier to install & remove the antennas from the outside and was easier then riveting the nutplates to the fuselage skin.

L. Adamson hit it on the head, this floor pan is twice the thickness of metal that would require a backing plate... :eek:

Anyone have a PDF with the hole layouts for the nut plates? Or is that pretty much something you have to build just by using the antenna base as a template?

Phil

Use the gasket

Anyone have a PDF with the hole layouts for the nut plates? Or is that pretty much something you have to build just by using the antenna base as a template?

Phil

I would like this file if one exists, right now my plan is to use the gasket as a template for the holes.

Cheers

use the Gasket...

Or is that pretty much something you have to build just by using the antenna base as a template?

I used the gasket as the template.:eek: Mounted the antenna behind the slider- as the second radio. That skin is thin and needed a doubler up there- Did this, since at times, the wing will blank out tower's reception of the belly radio antenna while in ground opps. Though the belly radio would be primary at all other times.

Or... if you do not have a gasket, use the antenna. Open the big hole in your material for the BNC connector, then just set the antenna on the material, trace and whala...

COMANT Template source

I was hunting around for doubler designs and came across this site. http://derantennainstalls.com/ They have PDF files for doubler for various low profile GPS antennas, when I printed the one for tear drop antennas the hole patter matched up to the CI-122 antenna. This should make drilling the doubler to the belly easy. This doubler does not tie into the floor ribs line AC43 suggest but I am thinking I will use this for my antennas, with one modification, I would bend up a flange at opposite ends to add some stiffness to the doubler. I have another thread asking if this might work just as well. I have a QB and don't want to drill out already set rivets, I figure I can do it this way and just give them a close inspection each annual and try something different if they don't work.

Maybe bending all 4 sides would give it better strength.

Cheers