rwarre

Well Known Member
I am wiring my Garmin 430 and the MGL V10 (which I don't have yet) com radios to an audio panel and would like the consensus on wiring two radios to a single input on the audio panel. I was planning on soldering two wires together with a pigtail that would have a molex connector on the end. I have seen other ways to connect wires together but soldering seemed the logically choice for my application. Suggestions are most welcome. Thanks

I am wiring my Garmin 430 and the MGL V10 (which I don't have yet) com radios to an audio panel and would like the consensus on wiring two radios to a single input on the audio panel. I was planning on soldering two wires together with a pigtail that would have a molex connector on the end. I have seen other ways to connect wires together but soldering seemed the logically choice for my application. Suggestions are most welcome. Thanks

Hmm....I'm not completely sure I understand. If you have an audio panel there should be a separate input for each radio. Putting two radios into one input is a no-no. Are you using an intercom by chance? If so, you still can't put them into a single input without running them through some sort of switch (hence the need for a real audio panel).

With your setup, I wouldn't try to run everything into an intercom, it's a mess waiting to happen. You have three radios (2 comms 1 nav). Better to just get an proper audio panel.

Lastly, have you heard a single user report about the MGL radio other than from the mfgr? Mostly curious there, as I'm curious about the radio myself.

Anyway, it's hard to answer your question without knowing exactly what you're trying to do here...if you can give us some more info we can give you better answers.

Cheers,
Stein

two headsets

I guess my question should have been more directed on how to connect the pilot and co pilot headsets along with the intercom. Maybe an avionics book would help. I don't see how to connect the com audio for the pilot and co pilot into the audio panel without putting two wires together. I don't have separate outputs on the audio panel for each headset. I am using a Collins MKR 350 audio panel, Garmin 430 nav/com, MGL V10 com.

I still have a few questions:

1) Are you sure you have an "MKR" 350 and not an "AMR" 350? The MKR is not an audio panel or intercom at all, it's merely a marker beacon receiver and would not in any way work with the install you're attempting to do.

2) Assuming you have an AMR-350, you need to understand that these haven't been made for about 30 years - is several generations out of date, and again it's only an radio switching panel - NOT an intercom which you still need to buy. They were good in their day, but now - well.....

3) Do you have an intercom in addition to this audio panel? If so, all intercoms have separate pins for the pilot/co pilot mic & headset jacks.

I suppose this might not be what you want to hear, but considering that this is a new airplane with nice avionics in it, I wouldn't recommend even installing that dinosaur. You'd be WAY further ahead to just buy a good intercom or even entry level modern audio panel.

In the end I still can't give you the right answers because I don't exactly know what you have yet. I'd love to try and help you and get you some good information. I tell you what, why don't you send me your phone number off list or give me a call so we can get this straightened out for you.

Best Regards,
Stein