todehnal

Well Known Member
I have the Skyview system, with an SL40 com installed in my RV-12. I also carry an Icom A24 hand held as back up. I would like to be able to tie it into the com system, thereby utilizing my headphones, mic, and push to talk switch. Not sure if that is even possible without an audio switching panel, or not, but I sure would like to keep this simple. It's nice to have a backup com, also I need the handheld to get the VOR frequencies to pick up AWOS3 info, as airports use the VOR frequencies for these announcements. VOR freqs are not available on com only radios. Also, now that 122.0 access to Flight Watch is gone, it might be good to be able to transmit on 122.1, and listen on the VOR. Besides, trying to use a handheld alone in a noisy airplane is almost impossible Any idea??.......Tom

This should be a fairly easy mod to make with an icom OPC-499 cable, a 4PDT switch (Stein), and some shielded cable. The switch would route the radio audio, PTT, and mic from either the SL40 or A24 to the intercom. You might think about adding an external comm antenna. You could go all out and wire in a charging base. I used a rotary switch for Com 1, Com 2, and Nav audio on mine.

John Salak
RV-12 120116/N896HS

Thanks John, I'll look in to that cable and switch, and I just happen to have an extra com antenna................Tom