prkaye

Well Known Member
Recently I've started noticing that when I push the PTT to transmit on my ICOM A200, while on the ground, I hear a high-pitched ringing. I did a radio test and my transmissions are still 5x5, but I can hear this high pitched ringing through my headset. Strangely, I've only noticed this when transmitting with the aircraft on the ground. Could it be some kind of reflection or feedback effect?

I hope you get an answer to this. I have had this problem in the past, and never did figure out what was causing this issue.

It is quite possible that high power reflections can be coupled into your intercom and headset wiring. You might experiment with different frequencies, coiling your headset wires, etc.

In an ideal world, everything that can act as an antenna should be grounded and shielded, but ....

Don

I would pull the comm antenna and check for corrosion and at a min clean it to make sure you have a good bond. The a/c skin is actually the other half of the dipole antenna and is very important.

I would try a couple of things in this order:

First, turn down your sidetone gain if you have this adjustment.

Second, turn down your mic gain. Not familiar with the radio, but I would guess these adjustments would be somewhere on your configuration page.

If one or both of these resolves your problem, go back and check your transmissions to make sure you're still 5 x 5.