avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Anyone know of any problem mounting the com antenna just aft of the baggage bulkhead?
Also, I thought I read somewhere that Garmin 327 transponder requires a distance of 3 ft from the panel unit to the transponder antenna-is that true?

Peter K
9A QB

There is a suggestion that an antenna not be placed near any other vertical object that may shadow or block the signal, like gear legs.

Steve Fabiszak

Shouldn't be a problem with the com ant aft of the baggage bulkhead. Don't know about the 3' distance from the ant to the GTX-327. Normally 18" is enough. I have my com antennas just forward of the main spar and the transponder ant aft of the baggage bulkhead.

Peter, I mounted my Comm antenna aft of the bulkhead, with a floor doubler and stiffener.

The Transponder antenna was mounted on the opposite side, with no doubler. The 327 cable length restriction is approximiately 10 feet or 3 meters, and depends on the type of cable used. RG-400 is the best.

Antenna locations

Trying to work smarter not harder, I mounted the comm antenna just in front of the spar in outer most bay of the fuselage. The Transponder antenna (Garmin 330S) mirrored on the other side. This provides a short run for the coax, and the nearly 3' desired, (but not completely necessary) separation. A little more difficult with the "A" model.

I occasionally confirm everything is working great with my neighbor who is a Tracon controller at Phx Sky Harbor. He is building a 7A and put the antennas in the same location.

No issues in 200 hours.

Yes .. 3 ft unit to antenna

Yes... the 3 ft. direct distance from unit to antenna is in the Garmin TSO'd Installation Manual.

If in doubt, read the manual..... :)

It might be an issue with the electrical screening of the unit itself... it's not a wire length distance.

The Manual also calls out different coax types for differing lengths... IIRC RG-400 was good to 9 ft or so... but check the manual!!

gil in Tucson

No quite...

RV7Guy said:
This provides a short run for the coax, and the nearly 3' desired, (but not completely necessary) separation.

Darwin... the Manufacturer differs with your assessment on this, and the Transponder System is one of the few items on our Experimentals that has to be TSO'd - or a proven equivalent. Your TRACON test does not meet a test to the full compliance with the TSO requirements.... :D

gil in Tucson

Typical

az_gila said:
Darwin... the Manufacturer differs with your assessment on this, and the Transponder System is one of the few items on our Experimentals that has to be TSO'd - or a proven equivalent. Your TRACON test does not meet a test to the full compliance with the TSO requirements.... :D

gil in Tucson

Well, Gil as typical of virtually everything I post you seem to disagree with it. My point is that if can't get EXACTLY 3 feet or MORE it is not going to affect the operation of the transponder or Comm.

Mine is 31.5" of separation. So I'm apparently not in compliance so why don't you turn me into Feds. I consulted with Garmin and they said this spread is fine. As Mel pointed out 18" will give you a functional spread.

Regarding checking with Tracon, it is nice to have a "friendly" give you confirmation that everything is reading as it should.

More time in the shop and less on the computer and you'll be flying before Van's comes out with the flying saucer kit.

Not Quite

WAIT!!! Back up. I never said that 18" separation was sufficient. What I said was that the distance between the transponder and transponder antenna, 18" usually enough to prevent feed back into the transponder.
My rule of thumb on antenna separation is: "Nothing should be closer to an antenna than the length of the antenna." i.e., a 24" long antenna should be at least 24" away from another antenna. Even this is not precise, but it is a fair rule of thumb.
Your 31" of separation should be OK in my opinion.

Numbers....

Mel said:
WAIT!!! Back up. I never said that 18" separation was sufficient. What I said was that the distance between the transponder and transponder antenna, 18" usually enough to prevent feed back into the transponder.
My rule of thumb on antenna separation is: "Nothing should be closer to an antenna than the length of the antenna." i.e., a 24" long antenna should be at least 24" away from another antenna. Even this is not precise, but it is a fair rule of thumb.
Your 31" of separation should be OK in my opinion.

Mel... shouldn't the Installation Instructions for a TSO'd part be the real specification?

The 36 inches is the number given by Garmin for physical distance, and what might work when new might not be good enough after the lid has been removed and replaced on the transponder - as an example...

gil in Tucson

You're right of course, Gil. The transponder and ELT are TSOd items, and as such are subject to the manufacturer's installation procedures. If the installation instructions show this as a requirement, then it needs to be adhered to. "Rules of thumb" are overridden by TSOs.

plug in a handheald

RV7Guy said:
Trying to work smarter not harder, I mounted the comm antenna just in front of the spar in outer most bay of the fuselage. The Transponder antenna (Garmin 330S) mirrored on the other side. This provides a short run for the coax, and the nearly 3' desired, (but not completely necessary) separation. A little more difficult with the "A" model.

I occasionally confirm everything is working great with my neighbor who is a Tracon controller at Phx Sky Harbor. He is building a 7A and put the antennas in the same location.

No issues in 200 hours.
Comm antenna right between your legs next to the spar. You can reach down and plug in your handheald. Splices (extra connections) are NOT good in the system.

Mel said:
You're right of course, Gil. The transponder and ELT are TSOd items, and as such are subject to the manufacturer's installation procedures. If the installation instructions show this as a requirement, then it needs to be adhered to. "Rules of thumb" are overridden by TSOs.

True enough, except not every word in every install manual is gospel. Many just have "recommendations" in them for certain things. Sometimes, the manuals aren't perfect, and of course can rarely take into account the huge variation between airframes, construction materials (composit, metal, tube/fabric, etc..), interconnected components, so on and so forth. Also, just because the manaul for component "X" says to keep "X a certain distance from Y", doesn't mean that the manual for "Y" may agree with that. It's one thing to take an individual component by itself, but it's quite another when taking things as a group of components or entire system. There are a lot of things that when done as a single component are done a certain way, but when used in a congolmeration are handled in a different way.

Not that this has anything in particular to do with antennas, as the original poster asked....spacing between the actual txpdr and antenna should be adhered to. Same goes for minimal lengths of GPS coax's (which just won't work if they are too short).

Just my 2 cents as usual (with my antennas mounted exactly like Mel's),

Stein.

TSO....

SteinAir said:
True enough, except not every word in every install manual is gospel. Many just have "recommendations" in them for certain things. Sometimes, the manuals aren't perfect, and of course can rarely take into account the huge variation between airframes, construction materials (composit, metal, tube/fabric, etc..), interconnected components, so on and so forth. Also, just because the manaul for component "X" says to keep "X a certain distance from Y", doesn't mean that the manual for "Y" may agree with that. It's one thing to take an individual component by itself, but it's quite another when taking things as a group of components or entire system. There are a lot of things that when done as a single component are done a certain way, but when used in a congolmeration are handled in a different way.

Not that this has anything in particular to do with antennas, as the original poster asked....spacing between the actual txpdr and antenna should be adhered to. Same goes for minimal lengths of GPS coax's (which just won't work if they are too short).

Just my 2 cents as usual (with my antennas mounted exactly like Mel's),

Stein.

Stein... I fully agree, especially about the if applies to X.. not necessarily to Y...

But... I was answering this part of the question from the first post in this thread.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that Garmin 327 transponder requires a distance of 3 ft from the panel unit to the transponder antenna-is that true?

Peter K
9A QB

And the Garmin manual is quite specific

"To prevent RF interference ... must be physically mounted a minimum distance of 3 feet..."

The "must" makes it much more than a recommendation..... and my comment was specifically for a Garmin (a very popular RV item) transponder, as the question asked.

I'm somewhat surprised that calling for the TSO'd Installation Manual to be followed has caused so much comment...

gil in Tucson

Per manual except

It seems like we have some confusion.

3 feet, transponder panel unit to antenna, ie coax at least 3 feet, I'm pretty sure is easy to accomplished, even with the antenna on the belly forward of the spar.

The other distance is transponder to Com antenna. I have had them very close (18"?) with no problem (side by side on the belly aft of the firewall.

Gil is right however it is TSO'ed, but than its experimental and not sure a DAR will notice. I usually say follow the plans and directions, but if it works, it works.

Last edited: