Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
It was a fine event Saturday morning (6-28-08). The results are listed below in order of speed. The classes are included but were not used in this sort.

Bob Axsom

Race # Name Type Class Speed (MPH) Speed (KTS)
Race 74 Duncan Sutherland SX-300 Sport 276.28 240.08
Race 18 John Huft RV-8 RV Blue 229.31 199.27
Race 57 Ray Edmiston F1 Rocket Sport FX 227.79 197.94
Race 12 Alan Carroll RV-8 RV Blue 208.68 181.34
Race 71 Bob Axsom RV-6A RV Blue 204.84 178
Race 26 Mike Thompson RV-6 RV Blue 203.29 176.66
Race 86 Dave Biesemeier Sidewinder FX Red 202.67 176.12
Race 799 Gary Haley RV-7 RV Blue 199.09 173
Race 89 Nathan Larson Bonanza N35 FAC2RG 190.81 165.81
Race 34 Chris Murphy RV-4 RV Red 190.62 165.65
Race 97 Lars Oyno MCR-01 Sportsman 168.19 146.15
Race 448 Jim Porter Cirrus SR-20 FAC3FX 159.71 138.79

Last edited:
Congrats Bob,

We'd like to hear more - perhaps a few details - like altitudes, power settings, etc..

Thanks,

Well This was my experience

Everyone taxied to the run-up area for runway 26 at Denver's Front Range Airport and waited for the tower to release us one at a time in fastest to slowest order. An EAA Chapter was flying Young Eagles at the same time at the same airport so you can imagine there were some operational conflict issues. We waited with engines running for considerable time while Kit Foxes and Cessnas operated in their normal mode. Fortunately the morning was cool and other than some anxiety no harm was done.

Some had not raced before so no race speed history existed but the organizers did a good job of sequencing us for the start and minimized in-race passing. A Sidewinder Race #86 powered by an O-320 was inserted before me in the lineup during the morning briefing. I did not know Dave Besemeier or his plane so I was not sure that was a good launch order - I needn't have worried, he was very fast.

We were to taxi to the hold line at runway 26 in the assigned order and individually call the tower for takeoff clearance just as with any other independent flight. When #86 taxied behind his assigned plane I taxied out behind him in Race #71. When I was cleared for takeoff he was just rotating. The tower was trying to get us out of the mix as best they could so the takeoff clearance intervals were 20-30 seconds. We all had to complete a left downwind departure and proceed to the start line which was the overpass crossing I-70 south of the town of Bennett. We were asked to maintain our assigned order across the start line and not crowd the plane ahead and to make sure our start times were recorded properly. I flew wide outside of #86 and lined up on I-70 when he made his one mile call to start we were well spaced and both got clean starts.

Mike Thompson in his RV-6, #26, tookoff after me and I heard him call his approach to the start line shortly after me. John Huft #18 and Alan Carroll #12 in their fast RV-8s were ahead of us as were Duncan Southerland in his SX-300 #74 and Ray Edmiston in his F1 Rocket #57. Gary Haley, in his very sharp looking RV-7 #799, launched after Mike Thompson.

We were given instructions before the race to make the turns outside the south ramp at Limon, Colorado's airport at 6,200 ft. and south of the center of the runway at Colorado Springs-East at 7,000 ft. then finish back at the overpass south of Bennett at a safe altitude under the Denver International Class B floor (8,000 ft at that point).

I was at full power, 2720 RPM and 6,500 ft crossing the start line. I saw #86 above and ahead and was gaining on him. I was relying on the wind forecast I got before leaving home that said we should have a northeast wind of about 10 MPH regardless of altitude so I stayed low to avoid any headwind and passed under the Sidewinder enroute to Limon. We had to make 5 mile and 1 mile approach calls to turn 1 and Race 86 and Race 71 made the calls one right after another so we were right there together! After the turn I eased up to 7,000 ft to get a little ground clearance and pick up any of that forecast tail wind that existed. The shallow climb trimmed some speed but after leveling off the there was a little benefit it seemed. By the time we reached Colorado Springs, #71 was some seconds ahead of #86 and #26 on the turn 2 calls and it was time to start a shallow descent to 6,500 for the dash to the finish. At that altitude some deviation was required for a ridge about half way back but after that it was a straight shot to the finish.

There wasn't a lot of finesse with the power settings - just go as fast as possible, wide open throttle, max RPM and mixture for about 1300 F on the hottest cylinder.

Then we had the recovery back at FTG where the Young Eagle event was still going on. That got a little interesting but it all worked out fine.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Sidewinder

Dave, #86, wasn't preregistered and wasn't going to race. He was just checking out the event. I was able to talk him into running the race and placing him in front of you, Bob, was my best guess at his speed.

He is a veteran race pilot and his Sidewinder has been on the cover of Sport Aviation and has been the subject of several articles. If you check out the past results on the AV Cup site I think you will see that he has won his class a few times.

He plans to run the AV Cup again this year so you will probably see him in Mitchell in a few weeks.

I was trying to do a fuel consumption test during the race at less than full power until 799 caught me. After that it was full throttle....so much for the test.

Chris Murphy
RACE 34

I copy Fuel Test needs

I did get data from the Colorado 150 race and on the trip home but I feel the need for another all out speed run fuel test without the non-race time running at Denver. I'm thinking I'll top the tanks and fly a circuit at 3,000 ft from Drake Field in Fayetteville to Walnut Ridge (both in Arkansas) and back taxiing directly to the fuel pump on return. That should give me a near worst case fuel burn. I'll use that to give me a 35 gallon usable projection of endurance and play that against the 3.5 hour endurance at 2,450 RPM to complete the race flight in accordance with the winds we find that day. It is going to be more demanding than when I fly with the tip tanks for sure but I hope for a tail wind that will allow me to use the max burn rate with a safety margin. See you in Mitchell - it should be another good race.

Bob Axsom