Rick6a

Well Known Member
Does anyone have first hand knowledge or contact information on an RV friendly company that provides anodizing services for small parts that are shipped to them? I'm thinking of having a set of fuel caps anodized red before they are sent out for engraving.

Local?

Rick

Did you check your local yellow pages? I found a metal treater that would do my parts. He charged $50 to set-up the anodizing tank, so whatever I could fit in the tank was included. There was an upcharge for color, but I do not remeber what it was. Just a thought, to save you some shipping $$.

DIY anodizing

Depending on the prices you find, it might be more cost effective to do it yourself. I've anodized a number of parts, all colored, myself. I don't have the details here at work, but if you're interested let me know and I'll dig them up at home. If you already have a constant voltage power supply, you should be able to get set up for under $100 and that will let you do whatever small parts you wish.

RV8RIVETER said:
Did you check your local yellow pages?.......Just a thought, to save you some shipping $$.
Depending on the prices you find, it might be more cost effective to do it yourself. I've anodized a number of parts, all colored, myself.
There are a couple of places within an hour or two of my home that do anodizing including the shop I once used to anodize several canopy parts. I have also reviewed a few how-to sites that illustrate how to make up a home brew but I'm really not interested in ramping up for that either. To avoid to and from driving hassles to the nearest locations (that I know of), I'd rather just send em out and let someone else do it. I just thought there might be someone here who knows of an anodizing shop that welcomes small amounts of work from members of the RV community.

I've anodized a number of parts, all colored, myself. I don't have the details here at work, but if you're interested let me know and I'll dig them up at home

Brad,
I'd be very interested in the details.

TIA,

tomcostanza said:
Brad,
I'd be very interested in the details.

TIA,
Hi Tom,

Sam Evans provided a good link in his post just above. Another one is this one at Warpig (paintball). I use the same basic method, except I didn't buy a starter kit. I buy the desmut, dye, and sealer from Caswell Plating, battery acid from Napa auto parts (they sell it in either 1 gallon or 5 gallon containers), and use my bench power supply to do the anodizing. Also, instead of a cooler, I use a plastic 5-gallon bucket and instead of aluminum wire I use some aluminum flats (1/8"x1") to line the bucket with. I think it cost about $80 to get started, and that was enough material for a half dozen or so parts.

My response when my wife questioned the sanity of what I was doing: "Electricity and battery acid bubbling in the garage - what could possibly go wrong?" :)