WardC1020

looking for some suggestions for cold weather clothes for cross country trip in RV 4. What have you found to work best. Not short sightseeing flights. Looking to go from nebraska to the west coast. RV 4 N234WC Ward Combs, Thanks in advance. Dues paid.

Although I live on an island in the Gulf of Mexico nowadays, I've got 50 years of experience in the uber-cold Upper Midwest. It would help to know a couple of things:

1. How's the heater in your -4? Can you get the cockpit to, say, 50 degrees if it's 20 degrees outside? 60?

2. Are you thinking about off-field landing survival? Even if you survive an off-field landing, you may not be rescued for many hours -- even in Nebraska. The odds of freezing to death in January are good.

Just a couple of things to consider, before kicking off the discussion.

Several things to consider. I fly in an unheated aircraft all year in Northern Nevada. First, I am very careful about fire risk, nylon and polyester are very flammable and stick to skin increasing burns. I like nomex, cotton and wool.
I usually fly in a long sleeved cotton shirt followed with a nomex undershirt (I use the auto race stuff) and will then have a wool sweater followed by surplus military coveralls. I have found winter nomex flight coveralls that work but are bulky. Gloves, I use the military nomex ones and have light ones and heavy ones.
I have considered using heated vest and socks but have not tried yet. I have a 12v outlet and my alternator puts out enough.
Lastly, think about taking a winter survival course. When I patrolled for a local Nordic ski team they made us spend the nigh out at 10000 ft in January with only our day pack.

If the sun is out, and its not to cold i am good. I dont think we have much heat for a cold, overcast day. Only have 67 hours TT so will pay attention to cabin temp next few flights. Some good info in previous replys. Thank you Ward Combs RV4 N234 WC