riobison

Well Known Member
I just flew from Sundre Alberta over the top at 12,500 to Oliver BC and my oil temperature never got over 125 degs on the 90 min trip. The temperature up there is still cold at minus 15 Celsius. I was running full throttle at 2560 RPM and leaned out on my 0360 with a woody.

I will do a test on the oil temp sender but if it's working ok the consensus on here is to block off the airflow to the cooler as even when the Vernatherm is functioning properly it still allows some oil to flow through the cooler.

Anyone running the 2" 1/4 turn valve from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty to close off the airflow to the oil cooler?

Or is the valve of choose the slider from Vans?

Thanks

Tim

I installed the slider in my -4 after years of using a simple plate bolted to the downstream side of the oil cooler. The slider allows me to get reasonably good oil temperatures in a broad range of OATs. For me, at -15C on the ground, I will get about 150-160F in the air. Go get higher temps, which I would like, I would need to put some sort of baffles on the front cylinders. On the plus side, even on the hottest days in New England, the oil temps never get above 200F when the slider is fully opened.

I messed with Vernatherm extensively when I had a Citabria. The valve works marginally at best, and is quite expensive. I think your temps are as expected for your set-up; I believe your sender is fine.

If you elect to install the slide, I offer the following suggestions:

• No matter how convenient it seems, don't install the slider on the downstream side of the oil cooler.
  • Consider installing the slider upside down as the actuating lever can easily contact the underside of the upper cowl and cut the fiberglass
Good luck,

Dean